Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Diesel?

No Regrets
    I know this has been hashed b4, but Im too lazy to search. Plus I need recent opinions.
    Im about to buy either 2005 F-250 crew cab s/bed 4x4 Lariat w/ 6.0 Diesel, fully loaded or same option 2005 SLE 2500 HD GMC 4x4 w/ Duramax & Allison. Im not lifting it, just maybe wheels & tires that fit stock.
    I've had both brands, so brand bashers, chill.
    I'd like opinion on owners whove had issues or no issues w/ both.
    Also, does the diesel get your boat black at all from the exhaust?
    What kind of MPG are y'all getting, really?
    Thanks in advance and bring it.
    B

riverbound
    I am a ford guy but chevy does make the better engine/tranny combo. The Chevy also rides much better. The chevy seems to be ore car like in the ride and ammenitites The fords are alot more truck like very sparse interiors definite truck like ride the Ford interior does feel better built than the chevy. Plus with the deal you can get from Photoglou it really makes the decision easy.

oldbuck40
    Dodge 350 4x4 dually w/cummins 24 valve 5.9 6speed, 3.55 gears i pull a 30' chriss craft@ 6900# and still get 17-18mpg,,,i've had fords and chevys and they are nice trucks but you cant beat a cummins period!!!

rrrr
    '04 Excursion with the 6.0L.....
    I get 16.5 average in town, 18-20 highway depending on speed.

Danhercules
    The Dodge Cummins rocks. Their truck sucks. IMO. The back seat is way small and the int sucks too IMO.
    Ford, nice truck.
    Chevy, the Dmax and Allison drive awsome. I hardly hit the brakes towing doubles. The tranny dose it all. The ride is like a car.
    If your gonna be rought on it off road, i would say Ford, the solid front axel. (I assume you are talkin 4X4). If not, I would say chevy, the ride is soooo nice.
    I have towed with the Ford 2500 and my chevy 2500HD, Power wise they are close, ride wise, Chevy, Tranny goes to chevy too.

Jordy
    Seeing how Ford is going to abandon the 6.0 platform after a couple years of headaches, that should give you some indication.
    Granted, I'm partial and have 2 Duramaxes and work for the Allison dealer, you won't find me owning a diesel with an automatic tranny other than an Allison. Too many horror stories out there with the other brands' automatic transmissions. Diesels are very hard on autos on their own, then consider that a majority of the time they're worked pretty hard on top of it. It's a no brainer.
    I get 17 or so in my company truck. It's a bone stock 2wd extra cab short bed, that just about always is pulling a generator out to a job or back. It get's flogged pretty good. My other truck is a crew cab long bed 4x4 on 285's, intake, exhaust, Edge Juice/Attitude on it, pretty much a racecar, and I drive it like that, but still get better than 16 around town. Took it to the track a couple weeks ago and ran a 14.74 1/4 mile. It's lots of fun lining up next to the kids with the fart can exhaust. They never see it coming. LOL

cdog
    I have'nt had the duramax yet but my HD with the 8.1 kicked ass. The allison trans is awsome. It shifts a little firm (just right) and down shifts when backing off the throttle and going down a grade. It really is light years ahead of the rest. The diesels are all about the same in all honesty. They are all strong and can be tweaked to get lots more power out of them. I'm lookin to get a duramax chevy soon and have tossed over the same questions. I want a truck but for 40k I want a smooth ride and some luxury so GM it is.

OutCole'd
    I have a 04 D-max and get about 15MPG on average, mostly city driving. Tow's great, really happy with it.
    I can't compare it to anything else, never been in one.

INSman
    Happy with my 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax, with of course the Allison tranny. I added an AFE Magnum Intake, Edge Juice w/ Attitude Controller and a 4" RBP exhaust with a 5" tip. The truck does have a 6" lift and at least 35" tires and this things absolutely screams !!
    I get 13.5 -14.5 towing, and have gotten upwards of 18 highway non-towing. It is funny to see the look on peoples faces when I blow by them on an uphill grade towing my 23' boat :2purples: :2purples:
    On the exhaust smoke, RBP puts out an additive that does a few things, incudes reducing the exhaust smoke. My boat has a white bow, and I do not notice anything goop or exhaust residue after towing 400 miles to Havasu.

dicudmore
    I am a ford guy but chevy does make the better engine/tranny combo. The Chevy also rides much better. The chevy seems to be ore car like in the ride and ammenitites The fords are alot more truck like very sparse interiors definite truck like ride the Ford interior does feel better built than the chevy. Plus with the deal you can get from Photoglou it really makes the decision easy.
    I have 2 Dmax's and would definitely get another one....
    Call Jay Photoglou 714-552-0300 you can prob have the truck today
    I get 14mpg towing my 29'er
    16ish around town normal driving. 18.5 at 75 not towing but doing the LV trip or something like that. Best ever mpg 22, that was a rainy day 60-65 LA to LV

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast