Thread: Rex Marine Power Silencers.....Anybody??

Big Bear
    Has anybody had any experience with these mufflers? I have a 28ft. Advantage Victory with a 496 HO. My tips are above water while idling. I think the test boat in Hot Boat with the 496 had tips which were underwater during testing. I dont trust the results. I think the Rex tips look great so I would like to hear about power loss. My boat is not all that fast so I would hate to lose any of what I do have. Has anybody been tested with these on a boat with the tips out of the water? I sure dont mind spending the money (well I lied!! I do hate spending the $$) I just want to make sure I am picking the best product. At least before my boat sounded like it was faster than it really was.

shadow
    Check with LHC30Victory.I belive he put Rex's on his boat.He's got twin 496's but
    can probablly give you some first hand feed back.

Havasu_Dreamin
    We've got a 525 and have the Rex Marine Power Silencers. Our exhaust exits above the waterline and under the integrated swimstep so it's basically a sound chamber. The Power Silencers brought us down to the requirements of the new CA law with no performance loss.

Big Bear
    Thanks Scott. I figured if a 525 powered boat could get by the Havasu Marina's test, it must be pretty quiet. If I had more motor like you do, I wouldn't be as worried about power. I wish I would have ponied up the extra $ for the 525 when I bought the boat.

Havasu_Dreamin
    I wish I would have ponied up the extra $ for the 525 when I bought the boat.
    Best thing we ever did. Were just going to go with the 500 but said screw it and went with the 525 since I ahd heard the 500 was going to be phased out.

Big Bear
    I've thought about Whipple Charger and that new package from Raylar for the 496 sounds good too. I got the XR drive when I had the boat built just in case.

rivercrazy
    Expect to loose about 150 rpm with the rex marine silencers. That is my experience and the experience of a few other's I know.

Big Bear
    So if the Rex silencers will drop me 150 RPM which I really do not want to lose, which mufflers are backing up their claim of no power loss? The Northstars marketed by Livorsi I believe open up as throttle is increased and are very quiet at idle but they run $1500 for the pair. OUCH!!! Anybody out there tried them or any other brands for that matter?