Thread: Rod side clearance help!

CircleJerk
    I would like advise on side clearance when aluminum rods are replaced with stock steel 7/16 bolt dimpled ones. I had .030 side clearance measured in the middle of the two alum ones and now have .035+ between the steel ones. The motor is a 396 with floating pin 2242 trw pistons. Of course the steel rods have been bushed and drilled for floating pins also and spiral retainers.
    This is the motor I crashed last year and figured while I was there, to replace the three year old and possibly tired SuperRods with ones I can forget about. I bought the motor this way and never planned on running alum rods in the first place but they seemed to behave just fine, so far. The motor turns 7400 with a 12 gear in my LaveyCraft and so far keeps close to the bigger inch motors. Now I am settling down and dont care about revs that high but want a strong bottom end. Will this increased gap cause problems for a circle race boat or occasional ski boat? Appreciate the help....

Fiat48
    Better loose than tight. Run it.

GofastRacer
    Boyd, I always run .035 I like to pass the oil as fast as I can to keep the heat down, the longer the oil stays there the hotter it gets and it heats up the bearings as well which reduces bearing life, I have experimented with this and I found that the little amount more oil splash on the cylinder walls didn't hurt anything as long as you had good rings and the right hone on the cylinder walls!..

CircleJerk
    Mucho Gracias Guys, I didnt expect an answer so soon......It was sure great seeing the wrist pin bushings and oil hole already drilled in these FREE recon rods! Now, I guess I rebalance the thing and plug it in... Fiat....I always wondered why the handle? First car?

FlatRat
    Wanna sell the old ones?

Fiat48
    Mucho Gracias Guys, I didnt expect an answer so soon......It was sure great seeing the wrist pin bushings and oil hole already drilled in these FREE recon rods! Now, I guess I rebalance the thing and plug it in... Fiat....I always wondered why the handle? First car?
    I was building this 48 Fiat (actually my third drag car) when my kids (computer nuts) said I just HAD to get on this thing called the Internet. They signed me up as Fiat48 and it's just been that way wherever I go. So I guess I am stuck with it.

LakesOnly
    I see this is already accurately covered and all good points made. For piece of mind, I just wanted to add an interesting anecdote:
    Fords are factory spec'd at somewhere around .022" +/-, and my last build with my chinese rods put me at .032". I hypothesized along Fiat's point but was a little concerned where my oil pressure may end up. So I called the shop that did some work for me and the relpy I got was, "run it...between you and me, I've run as much as .125"!...but don't tell anyone."

Anyway, the point is clear...
    LO