Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Gibson Muffler Results

Dana Marine Products
    We just ran a 27' V bottom with a 720 HP blower motor with the Gibson clamp on mufflers (4"). The boat was ran with and without mufflers, the results were the same, 5400 rpm, 84 MPH. They sounded great and passed at 88 db. administering the new CA dockside test method. Eliminator boats also ran a 28 Daytona at 117 MPH on Thursday at Elsinore. That boat had twin 525's. The boat ran the same with and without the Gibson clamp on's. More tests to come...

Not So Fast
    Good to see all the results Dana. You said in a reply to "Magic Transom Pictures" that the Gibson is straight thru so no water back up, correct? That is what makes me nervous in a lot of these mufflers because the water flow is definetly disrupted and not straight thru as Merc designed. In the clamp-on version can they truly just be clamped on and not have to remove the internal flapper on the stock exhaust?? NSF Thanks :2purples:

Dana Marine Products
    The clamp on versions can be installed within minutes as long as there is proper clearance. No modifications on the existing tips is necessary. We've seen alot of the different systems available and there are 3 necessary qualifications in our eyes,
    1. Will it meet the new CA state law?
    2. Will it hurt performance?
    3. Last but not least...Price. We feel it is unfortunate that alot of good hard working people buy a very expensive boat and then get hit with this. The Gibson line is affordable without sacrificing any key components.
    Gibson not only meets the above qualifications, they exceed them.

Daytona100
    The clamp on versions can be installed within minutes as long as there is proper clearance. No modifications on the existing tips is necessary. We've seen alot of the different systems available and there are 3 necessary qualifications in our eyes,
    1. Will it meet the new CA state law?
    2. Will it hurt performance?
    3. Last but not least...Price. We feel it is unfortunate that alot of good hard working people buy a very expensive boat and then get hit with this. The Gibson line is affordable without sacrificing any key components.
    Gibson not only meets the above qualifications, they exceed them.
    Do you have any pics of the muffs?

Dana Marine Products
    You can view the clamp on models at www.danamarineproducts.com. The clamp on models are shown in the new products and the standard products section. The complete line along with additonal installed pictures are first priority Monday AM.

Dana Marine Products
    Thanks Phebus!!!

Big Bear
    Those look pretty clean. They actually clamp on to the existing tips instead of replacing them, right? What are the chances of losing them under hard acceleration like happened to the IMCO in the Hot Boat tests? Advantage recommended the HPI's which they are putting on their boats for my 496, but the tests seem to show a loss of power. I know everyone is going to give props to their product. I am looking for opinions of real people who have used these products on their own boats. I thought about Rex Marine silencers. I think they are one of the cleanest looking units but people have written to me telling me to expect a loss of 150 RPM. I'm not very fast to begin with, can't afford to lose any more.

Craig
    I think the Gibson's may look OK on mine, I don't know. I'm really concerned about the noise with the blower motor and the tips so high up. I guess I can cut off part of the tip prior to bolting on the muffler to reduce the amount it sticks backwards.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/30161a.jpg

Dana Marine Products
    The Gibson clamp on's grip very good. They've been tested for this issue, but I would strongly suggest checking the bolts every so often. Gibson also makes transom mount versions.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast