Thread: valve adjustments

kceballes
    new heads on a 454ci. I have the motor out on a stand, but it is time to adjust the valves (hydraulic flat tappet) and put on finishing touches. Problem, with putting the motor back in the boat, the yoke has to hook up to jet, and not to forget the motor has a fresh paint job, no flaws. I don't want to break in cam and tune while the jet is burning itself up. Does anyone have the solution to my problem? The answer is probably sitting under my nose, need some different thoughts? How does everyone else put rebuild back into a boat w/ a jet?

HammerDown
    In the past I've started a new motor in the driveway with a hose hooked up to the pump and motor...NOW I KNOW its a (no no) but the fact is that when (I've) done it there has been NO problems with wear on the imp. and wear ring...and as far as the packing rings I use a special composite that needs no water for cooling and has not scored the shaft. After taking my pump apart, its in the same spec. as it was some 5 seasons ago. .020 Imp.to wear ring front shoulder and .015 per side.
    HOWEVER when its time to fire the new rebuild...(pump and motor) I'm taking it to the ramp...for extended run time on the trailer. (Adjustment to carb, timing, lifters.) Who knows, I may even get a boating day out of it! If ya have a way to disconect the pump from the motor...do it, but as far as any extended run time, I would back it in the water!
    [This message has been edited by HammerDown (edited March 05, 2002).]

kceballes
    thank you HD, I wish I had some fresh water around to do that. I live in Alameda and the Estuary is all salt. Closest lake, Berryessa. I am also looking at putting the motor in the boat without the drive shaft and hooking uip the hose. BUT, then I have to pull motor again in order to install shaft, lots of work with limited time.
    Thank you again
    Kurt

quig
    what I am doing,is taking my new 429 ford to the local engine dyno to be broke in and set up before it gets put back in the boat.That way if I need to clean or repaint anything it can be done then installed in the boat.

DOHARA
    KC, If you have read past forums (running jet out of water) you will get different opinions. This is my .02 cents. I have always run motor and broken them in with shaft hooked up, as long as you have water running from hose cooling engine and pump. I have never had any problems. I have the same problem with my bell housing it's impossible to disconnect drive unless you pull motor.
    It's up to u but thats how I do it.
    DANO

Brendella
    IF YOU HAVE AN ENGINE HOIST THEN LEAVE THE JET DISCONNECTED THEN RUN THE ENGINE AND WHEN YOU ARE FINNISHED WITH EVERYTHING LIFT THE ENGINE A LITTLE AND INSTALL THE UJOINT SHAFT.