Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hardwood floors

99 232 baja
    I know this has nothing to do with BOATS, but people seem to always have the answers here. Has anyone ever put down a nail down hardwood floor? easy? type? any tricks I should know? I am pretty handy around the house and almost always do-it-myself,is this something I want to tackle?

Mohavekid
    They are'nt too hard to put down, just take your time and fit it all dry first.
    Depending on where you're located determines what type of finish you can get on the floor. Finish in place wood with good varnish lasts longest, but here in Cali, we can't use good varnish because of pollution controls.
    The wood also requires special care in cleaning, no wet mops. I got about 10 years out of mine before having to completely re-do them.
    Good luck.

mike37
    I know this has nothing to do with BOATS, but people seem to always have the answers here. Has anyone ever put down a nail down hardwood floor? easy? type? any tricks I should know? I am pretty handy around the house and almost always do-it-myself,is this something I want to tackle?
    don't do it
    go with one of the new type floors
    they look like wood but very esay to maintain and easy to install

CARRERA
    don't do it
    go with one of the new type floors
    they look like wood but very esay to maintain and easy to install
    Costo has the new type mention above. That is what I installed and it was very easy.

Mandelon
    You can rent the nailers at tool rental places. PUtting it down is fairly easy, but a nice finish is a little tougher. Gotta have a dust free environment for the last coat.

99 232 baja
    thanks for the help. The reason I want a nailed down floor is because it is more solid than a floating floor, The floating floors I have been on feels like it they are floating and I don't want that . Cost is more for nail down pre finished but that doesn't matter seeing how much flooring(floating/nail) costs. The difference is about $500-$750,which isn't much.

TOBTEK
    we have real Hardwood floors in the entry, living and kitchen....personally I WOULD NEVER AGAIN! They look beautiful, BUT show every dust partical. My wife has over watered the plants once or twice and you can see where the water has traveled . Dont even think about rolling anything on them, I just moved the big screen to a different room and you can see the rollers all the way from spot to spot. DO you have pets? water bowls are a good time, pets take a drink and drip all over the floor......NEVER AGAIN! TAVERTINE in the new casa for sure! Just my experence ofcourse :squiggle:

mike37
    thanks for the help. The reason I want a nailed down floor is because it is more solid than a floating floor, The floating floors I have been on feels like it they are floating and I don't want that . Cost is more for nail down pre finished but that doesn't matter seeing how much flooring(floating/nail) costs. The difference is about $500-$750,which isn't much.
    well go for it
    but if you are on concrete make sure your vapor barrier is good or you will have expansion problems
    and make sure you let the wood acclimatise for the recommended time for your area

OutCole'd
    Have you picked a brand yet? Prefinished all the way, install it and your walking on it the same day, no waiting for a stain & sealer to dry, plus you can't beat the warranty.

SHOTKALLIN
    Ever have a spill? Pipe break? I will never have hardwood floors again. Its too easy to scratch them without even trying. Go tile or don't go at all. There are lots of things you can do with tile as far as making it extra custom. It all depends on how you lay it and what sizes you use. You can even lay a mosaic medallion in the foyre(sp) for that extra over the top look.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast