Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plasma TV's re-killed thread: What the honest dope on them?:

Flying Tiger
    Will they last?
    I was stumbling trough COSTCO and they look awsum, the price is right.
    Time to replace the (M) Itshcypussie 32 inch tube type.
    The rumor is to expect the plasma sets to start dieing in about 2000 hours of useage.
    Is this correct?

vegasriverjunkie
    I heard the newer versions will have a more life to em' plus should be dropping soon below the 2k mark. If you could afford it and want to save space get one. I prefer to just keep my 65" big screen there's no way I can downsize.

Perfect Mixer
    All show. Once you get over the wow factor and the fact that you can hang it on a wall, there's better looking TVs for less money.
    It's been on my wall for 3 months now, and I still haven't gotten over the wow factor yet. Can't wait to get more HD programming. Cox is a little limited.

bilgewiper
    I bought a HD 42" plasma from Costco w/coupon was $1499 or $1599(can't remember). It some weird brand, Vizio. But, I am really happy with it. You can't beat Costco's warrentee...........Lifetime, bring it back to the store for replacement instead of having to ship to manufacturer. If they don't have this weird brand at that time they just credit to different manufacture.

Dawn Patrol
    Talk to Roz. He hooked up my Brother.

Woodster
    Talk to Roz for sure..He knows his shiat. If u like watching Hidef stuff, I would buy a DLP TV over a plasma.. We have the 56 " Samsung DLP and the picture is incedible. My father in law has a Panasonic Plasma and I swear our picture is better then his.Reg Cable on a plasma imo looks worse also then reg cable on a DLP. Do lots of research before u buy and talk to ROZ

Jordy
    I looked at the plasma and ended up with the LCD projection in a 60" model (HD to boot). Side by side I liked the picture better on the Sony I ended up with and don't have to worry about burn in, burn out, whatever. It's got a replaceable bulb.
    Oh, and Roz hooooooooked me up on this deal.

plaster dave
    A waste of money buy an LCD much better all around. .02

ROZ
    All show. Once you get over the wow factor and the fact that you can hang it on a wall, there's better looking TVs for less money.That's exactly what flat panel displays are all about. Convenience and wow.. Most of the time the higher end unit's processing is better, giving a great picture..Things are changing rapidly though..
    My 36 Sony xbr's picture tube will crush almost any other tv type in digitl cable or HD.. CRUSH downfall is that 36 is as large tbes get and they won't be making them for much longer.
    I say almost because Sony's new Quailia 06 has one of the best pistures of new tv's available...
    Because plasmas use the same lighting agent(plus xenon) as crt tv's, they are suppose to last 7-10 depending on viewing.Phospherous looses it's brightness resulting in color washing and lower brightness. A way to extend life is to reduce the picture temp. Most of them come out of the factory high temp, but most applications don't need the setting. Lower it and it will last longer...

Uplink
    Just a tip for those who don't know already. To get the TRUE enjoyment of your HDTV can't do it with only the monitor. Be sure and hook up the right tuner (known as an ATSC tuner), and hook it up to a TV antenna on the roof. (just like the old days). Some ATSC(DTV)tuners are stand alone, and some are built into a satellite receiver. Only the over-the air broadcasters
    are sending true HDTV. Cable and Satellite compresses the signal so you can't get the best quality from those guys. In LA just point your antenna to Mt. Wilson and watch TV. You won't belive how good the live events look. By the way, I think the projection units that are out nowadays are the way to go, just like watching a movie. :wink:
    Mark

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast