Thread: IRON VS ALUMINUM HEADS

flattie
    COULD ANYONE TELL ME THE PROS AND CON OF ALUMINUM VS IRON HEADS ON A SUPERCHARGED ENGINE?
    ANY IFO WILL BE A GREAT HELP

Drew
    I am no expert on heads but general rule of thumb on aluminum is obviously the weight savings and worth 1/2 to 1 point on compression ratio depending on who you talk to and which aluminum head your are specifically talking about. Are you building or rebuilding up! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
    Forum admin should default message ICON to something besides a frown. Da#% things I always forget.
    [This message has been edited by Drew (edited February 13, 2002).]

RumRunner
    Aluminum: Lighter, disperse heater better, generally better port design (flow better) less prone to detonation, generally make more HP under boost. BUT they will corode !

Kurtis500
    Pre-heat the water if possible to keep from running cold water in the heads, its hurts aluminum easiest. Both combos have been proven in lake settings when set-up right.
    Maybe the best combarison...iron = $$ .... Aluminum = $$$$

DEL51
    I have a set of each on my 2 ngines.The aluminu advantage is stated in the previous post,the only thing I can add is that alumnum heads can be repaired easier than an Iron head.I have read that an Iron head can make more power on certain setups if everything else is equal because it retains combustion chamber temperature.I had a valve break on a set of 310cc merlin iron heads and the piston received most of the damage.The head was nicked up but worhed fine afterward.