Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: attaching safety chains?

wrenchdaddy
    My trailer needs safety chains but Im not exactly sure if there was a proper way to mount them to the trailer. I was thinking just getting two big bolts, one for each side and bolting the chains the the tongue, I don't have a welder or anything so are there any other options?

Heatseeker
    My chain is welded to the trailer, but I think a long through bolt would work too.

Brian Ray
    My chain is welded to the trailer, but I think a long through bolt would work too.
    I second that....just use a grade 8 bolt. :wink:

Taylor LP
    JMO, but I would pay someone a couple bucks to have the links welded to the trailer. Couldn't cost that much.
    Any holes drilled in the tounge would be right where the tounge bends or breaks if any kind of drama happens. Also, I would be a great place for cracks to start.

BLEWBAYOU1
    I use coated coiled cables they always stay snug and out of the way.I'm sure you already know this but, be sure to always cross your chains or cables when attaching them to the tow rig. If the hitch was to come off it will stay straight behind you.(hopefully) It's also the law! :messedup:
    Brian :supp:

Mohavekid
    I use the cables too, they are attached to a bolt that goes through the rest on the front of the trailer.
    The rubber/plastic coating on them saves the paint on the tongue of the trailer and the coils keep them from dragging on the ground.
    Overall, much better than chains.

wrenchdaddy
    where could i get cables and how big should I get???

Mohavekid
    Check with a local trailer or RV shop.
    My cables are about 3/8 thick.

Squirtin Thunder
    Ya know it is always cool to see all the sparks that come off the safety chains when someone doesn't really care enough to make them the right length. Also when they expect them to work after the chain has drug on the ground for 20 years.
    Jim

Danhercules
    CHAINS? I an A chain on mine. Time to get another one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast