Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Eliminator Eagle Taking on Water

mikefd024
    I have a 1996 23' Eagle that takes on water, but I do not know where it is coming from. Apparently in a design flaw the water fills the ski locker and has no where to go, except where the frame of the boat is not visible unless you take out the interior. Since it does not drain to the back of the boat where the bilge pump is, the boat fills until I drain by hand or with a submersible pump. Anyone have one of these boats that did or do the same, and what did you do about it??? I have been told by 2 glass people that the hull is fine. Anyones help would be appreciated...

Outnumbered
    I have a 1996 23' Eagle that takes on water, but I do not know where it is coming from. Apparently in a design flaw the water fills the ski locker and has no where to go, except where the frame of the boat is not visible unless you take out the interior. Since it does not drain to the back of the boat where the bilge pump is, the boat fills until I drain by hand or with a submersible pump. Anyone have one of these boats that did or do the same, and what did you do about it??? I have been told by 2 glass people that the hull is fine. Anyones help would be appreciated...
    Are you sure it does not have two bilge pumps? There might be one up front and one in the rear. Eliminator boats are top of the line. I don't think they would have a faulty design. There are some people on here that have 23' Eagles. Go to the Sandbar and post a thread "attn 23' Eagle owners" or something like that. Sandbar gets way more action. Good luck.
    OL

LAPII
    What kind of "speedo" do you have, GPS or mechanical?

Havasu Hangin'
    I would be very careful. If you are getting water into the transom (through a bolt hole, for example), it may have nowhere to go but into the sub-floor (that's how the ski locker will fill up).
    I'd check the transom and floor for moisture (I knew a couple Eliminator guys who got a soft floor that way).

mikefd024
    I have a mechanical speedo, and there is only one bilge in the back. I know that eliminator is top of line but this is a really poor poor design flaw.

Eliminator 4 Life
    I heard of some people getting water in through the cup holders I know it sounds funny but you might try silconing those in

Havasu Hangin'
    ...and there is only one bilge in the back. I know that eliminator is top of line but this is a really poor poor design flaw.
    Usually there is a small hole between the ski locker and the bilge. If there isn't, it's easy to drill one to allow the water to drain from the locker to the bilge.
    However, more importantly, if the water can't get in from the bilge to the locker...where is it coming from? If it is more than what comes off the passengers after a swim...
    ...remember that scene from "Aliens" where they've barracaded themselves in the science building? Remember when they weld the doors shut, but they are still showing movement coming toward them? Remember when they all look up an realize the aliens are coming in from the ceiling?
    Check the floor, partner.

TPI
    Like HH said, There "should be a small 3/8-1/2" hole" at the lowest point between the bilge and ski locker. Maybe it was overlooked when the boat was layed up(it happens)? Maybe its there, and plugged by carpet or debris? Regardless, it would be pretty simple to drill another one. Any idea where the water is coming from?

mirvin
    Here's my guess: THe water is coming in throught the rub rail then working its way to the ski locker. Check the back of the rub rail; up under the helm; where the top and bottom of the boat come together. I've seen spots where they didn't glass a section that was hard to reach and everytime the boat leans in a turn it takes water through the rubrail.
    Whatever it is, it seems like the only FACT you've established is that the water is ENTERING THE BOAT in front of the rear bulkhead AND that there is NO HOLE IN THAT BULKHEAD to let water drain into the bilge.
    Regardless of where it's coming from you really need to find and or drill a hole through the rear bulkhead so water can get from the ski locker to the bilge.
    Does the boat take water just sitting still??
    Where are you located?
    As always, pictures are your friends
    mirvin

mikefd024
    I am in Cucamonga, there is no hole in the ski locker because it woulds drain to the fuel tank. And yes it takes on water sitting still...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast