Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INTAKE HELP FOR A BBC??????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I AM LOOKING TO BUY AN INTAKE FOR MY BBC 454 AND I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR. I HAVE A 850CFM DOUBLE PUMPER W/MECANICAL SECONDARIES. I WAS TOLD TO GET A WEIAND TEAM G HIGH RISER INTAKE. WAHT WOULD THIS INTAKE GIVE ME(LOW END,TOP END)? I WAS ALSO LOOKING AT A CHROME ONE IN SUMMIT THAT WAS CHEAPER AND PRETTIER. WOULD THIS EFFECT MY HP,SPEED OR WHAT?

Racing Ray
    Your intake selection will depend on what you have done to the engine. The Team G has a tall plenium and short runners. It will work good if you plan on running some RPM. There might be a better choice but I would need to know what more has been done to the engine as well as what type of boat it is going in. Any idea what your maximum RPM is now?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    THE HULL IS A 18FT. IT IS VERY LIGHT BUT I DONT KNOW THE MAKE. IT SAYS HMBLT ON THE TITLE (HOMEBUILT). I AM PUTTING MY ENGINE TOGETHER SO I DONT KNOW WHAT RPM SHE'S GOING TO RUN YET. I WILL GET THE CAM SPECS FOR YOU. THE HEADS ARE OFF A 396HP WITH 7/ VALVES. SORRY BUT I AM STILL LEARNING ENGINES I WILL FIND OUT MORE HERE IN A COUPLE OF DAYS.

skeepwerkzaz
    Just a little FYI.
    All double pumpers have mechanical secondaries, that is what a double pumper is, a four barrel with two accelerator pumps.Vaccuum secondaries don't have accelerator pumps.
    Clay

77charger
    if your reving over 6k then go with the team g if not go with a dual planr type stealth or performer rpm.

wideopen545
    stealth works from off idal to 7000 rpm you get low end pull and top end speed works great

Racing Ray
    I would agree with Charger on what is a better choice in intakes. In some cases more top end HP can be made even below 6000RPM but it will always cost bottom end performance. I run a Team G on my 511 with a dominator. It operates between 6000RPM and 7500RPM. Light boat such as yours I think the Stelth by Weiand is a good choice. A heavier boat would benifit with the Performer.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    THANKS GUYS, MY FRIEND JUST GAVE ME AN EDELBROCK TORKER INTAKE. ITS PRETTY TALL AND THE CARB MOUNT IS TURNED A LITTLE SO ITS NOT STRAIGHT FOWARD.MY FATHER HAD ONE OF THESE ON HIS V-DRIVE AND IT WORKED WELL. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF IT. I LIKE IT FOR THE PRICE AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL RUN GOOD ON MY SET UP. I WILL RUN IT FIRST TO SEE HOW IT PERFORMS BEFORE I HAVE TO SPEND ANY MORE MONEY ON ANOTHER ONE. I WAS ALSO THINKING OF PUTTING ON A 2 INCH SPACER WILL THIS HELP OR HURT ME. LIKE I SAID THE HULL IS SUPER LIGHT. I CAN PICK IT UP ABOUT 5 FEET WITH JUST THE HULL AND PUMP.

Racing Ray
    Spacers are a tuning tool. Sometimes they do help others they will hurt. That is something you will have to try. They are used to adjust the A/F ratio.
    In my opinion an 850DP is a bit large for your engine so it will probably help. If you use an open spacer.
    An open spacer will extend the plenium length. This will increase the air velocity some but it will also have the effect of lowering the vacumm signal pulling on the bottom of the carb. This means it will pull slightly less fuel.
    A 4 hole spacer will extend the carbuerator venturies. This tends to pull more signal to the carb and will deliver more fuel.
    4 hole spacers are a very good addition to most tunnel ram set-ups as the very large plenium will kill signal and the 4 hole spacer will bring it back.
    This explains why so many Jet Boaters can get away with carbs that are sized to big for the engine and why single carb tops don't work so well for most people.
    The old style Torquer is a good nostalgia piece. My son just picked one up on E-Bay for a 69 Camaro he is building to an original type Hot Rod from the late 60's.
    The carb is mounted at an angle to try and keep runner length the same for each cylinder. Modern day intakes use the runner dividers and shape to accomplish the same effect.

yates9
    What explains it? Running 4 hole spacers? Why would you say single carbs don't work on boat?
    "This explains why so many Jet Boaters can get away with carbs that are sized to big for the engine and why single carb tops don't work so well for most people."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast