Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about new floor.

460rogers
    I'm putting my new floor next week and was wondering if I should glass or seal the bottom of the marine plywood or leave it bare.

pgf127rt
    460 Rogers, on my 77 CVX Glastron I refloored it in 1990 with marine plywood, when we got it cut to shape, we brushed on full rich resin on both sides and the edges, this was also done to the seats, which we rebuilt , after 11 years it shows no signs of deterioration, we also glassed the wood to the hull when we replaced it.

LeadFootTheRabbit
    I agree with pgf127. I just did the same to the floor of the boat I'm puttin together. A couple of coats just to help seal up the plywood. Can't hurt. LDFTRBT

flat broke
    I'm gonna go with the guys above. You should seal the bottom of the floor with resin. The reason being is that I don't care how watertight your boat is; condensation knows no bounds. If you don't seal that floor, when condensation accumlates between the hull and the underside of the floor, it will eventually (years) degrade the integrity of the wood. It's a nasty job, spend the extra couple of hours to coat the botom of the floor so you don't have to replace it in 2-3 years.
    Chris

Slick
    460Rogers, I too am putting in a new floor. It's a big job. You absolutely need to coat the wood with at least two coats of resin, whether it be polyester, vinyl ester or epoxy. Pay special attention to the edges or any cuts you may make in it for stowage or ski locker. After removing the old flooring, you're going to need to grind down any remaining resin if your floor was glassed in to begin with. Also, you'll need to grind about 4-6" up from where the new wood meets the hull. This way you'll be sure that your resin will bond. I too will have a question on this process a little later today that will probably be more specific.
    Slick

shirkey4750
    I redid the floor in my Sanger hydro last spring, I got everything I needed from a company in Ohio called Fiber-glast. The will have any and everything you will need at a reasonable price with fast delivery. The are on the net, with a full catalog. I spoke with Sanger in Calif. and they told me to use a finish resin, which I rolled on and it did a very good job.

ULTRA28
    You definately need to seal the bottom of the floor. Even if you use Mariner or another boat ply. Make sure to use a finishing resin (also known as a sealing resin). Regular resin brushed on will not seal the wood, it will become absorbed, but not fully seal, especially on any cuts and edges.

DEL51
    Ultra 28,I am about to complete the floor of a 19ft sprint that I have built from the bottom up. I have the stringers in and applied the final layer of biax 1708 0/45 degree weave.The resin is MVR- 8031 Vinyl ester.I have never heard anything about a finishing resin.Do I have to use something different than what I have? If so,Is it readily available and in what quantity? Does it have the same characteristics as the resin I am using? If you have any tips,I sure would appreciate it. Thanks,DEL51

pgf127rt
    del51, i guess we live too far away from all of the new products that are out there, when we restored my boat we actually built up a protective coat of resin all over the wood and edges, it is still as solid as the day we installed it,as are the seats.

ole war horse
    Thanks guys I am just getting ready to do the
    floor on my 21 Wreidt and you gave me some good ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast