Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help and input

Bailey
    I would like to know if its possible to build a reliable blower motor with the bugget of between 8 to 10 thousand. I would be using a standerd 4 bolt 454 block. I'm looking for around 800 hp. I was also wondering if I should stroke the motor? Thanks for any input.

retromek
    Quite a few people say no. But I'm shooting for something a little more conservative

Minx20
    I would like to know if its possible to build a reliable blower motor with the bugget of between 8 to 10 thousand. I would be using a standerd 4 bolt 454 block. I'm looking for around 800 hp. I was also wondering if I should stroke the motor? Thanks for any input.
    Bailey, try this outfit: http://www.bigalstoybox.com/bigchevy.html
    All are blown. Might be a start in that price range.
    Good luck
    E.S.

I would say you could for about $13k to $15k ... no need to stroke really, are you going to have a carb motor or injected?
    injected will require more $$$ ...
    things to think of are intake, idler brackets/pulleys, linkage, fuel pump(s), blower pulleys, etc. these items add up fast.
    I would look for a complete motor used for sale that you can go through. There are ones that show up for around $10k from time to time on dragboats.com
    Other than that, just make sure that your pistons & cam are right ... and go for it. Blower motors are the way to go ...
    have fun ... good luck!

SSTahoe
    I would say no for a turn key motor. if you just wanted the basic motor maybe. Will it last maybe? get a complete motor and blower and trust it no way. I would not trust cheap internal engine parts at all for that much horsepower and you have to remember boats are hard on engines. It would suck to throw a rod or snap a crank on a big weekend in the middle of summer the you will wish you spent a little extra!!

Bailey
    It would be carborated. Also would only need machine work done, I would be doing the assembley.

Bailey
    what crank, pistons, rods, and cam should I be looking for? To be reliable.

SSTahoe
    Pistons..$650.00
    rods......$650.00
    crank.....$1,150.00
    rod & main bearings...$140.00
    rings.......$150.00
    quality gaskets...$175.00
    oil pump ....$80.00
    timing set....$100.00
    block new .....$3,000.00
    heads loaded......$2,800.00
    head studs .....$100.00
    roller rockers...$250.00
    Then you have to add your ignition, wires, water pump, hoses, plus all the hardwear to bolt everything together, and this would not include machining all the parts, you better have all those parts internally balanced if you want it to last, if you have an engine that has all parts there you could rob then that would help. Make sure you go with a forged Aluminum piston and good quality bearing for the bottom half, if you boost it at all you better have good rods, then you will have to have a good crank too.....etc. etc.....

Well, we run a Blown GAS Jet w/ NJBA. The combination is an injected 427, .060 over ... makes it a 440. It turns 8.0's @ 135 mph. This motor is putting out well over 1000hp (varies w/ pulley size). Of course it has a PSI D blower on it which is $9k alone. The 427 places the wrist pin higher in the piston which allows you to turn higher rpm's ... a great set up.
    I would reccomend an Eagle or Scat crank ($950), Clay Smith cam ($350), Brooks aluminium rods ($700) & JE pistions ($700). Now that's $2700.
    Finding a blower setup ($2500), intake manifold w/ burst panel ($800), idler bracket & pulley ($600 new), pulleys ($100/ea new ... min of 2 obviously), now that's another $4100. Your up to $6800.
    Hopefully, you have a good machine shop around to balance the rotating assy ($200) & o-ring the block and heads ($300).
    There is a large debate on heads ... I would use a good set of 990 heads on a lake motor, hopefully you already have a set of decent heads though you can use ... otherwise set aside another $3000.
    You're down to carbs, linkage, gaskets & all of the nickel and dime crap that will push the budget out of control like we all know happens.
    The prices above are ball-parked ... hopefully it'll give you a guideline to go by at least. I'm sure there are others out there with more/different ideas ... these are mine.
    Just remember to take your time and put it together right & have fun doing it.
    BB

Liberator TJ1984
    You also need to the above :cry:
    Carbs x 2 and adapter
    Blower
    Scoop
    Camshaft and Valvetrain
    Deep sump Oilpan ?
    Fuel Sytem
    etc,etc,etc.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast