Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help and input

Bailey
    thanks for all the replies, looks like I have some decisions to make.

superdave013
    I ran a steel chevy crank in my BGF. It held up just fine and I still have it today. Do not skimp on pistons what ever you do. I would use a steel rod also for what you are doing. I'm a Carrillo freak but you could get by with Manley or Eagles.
    If you take BUSBY's advice on the Clay Smith cam (they also make a great fuel pump) I might be able to help you out on that.
    You might be able to pull it off if you really shop around and pick up a used 6 or 8-71 for a good deal. (I always seem to come in around double your budget myself) Just make sure the blower is set up for gas and not alki.
    Hey BUSBY, have you priced out a couple of dominators lately? Carbs, carb adapter, scoop, throttle linkage and spark arresters will add up to more then a brand new Bird & pump! I know, I know, just don't seem right to me either.

Squeezing Spectra
    You can do it

SD - I know ... I have no need for carbs, however, whenever I build for friends - etc. I get blown away at the money it takes.
    Bailey - George Striegel (Clay Smith Eng.) w/ definately set up the right cam for your blower app., he's the best in my opinion when it comes to blower applications ... is really cool w/ giving advice also. If Super can assist you that helps also, seeing as how he's just down the street from him. My office is also about 5 minutes from him also ... so if I can assist, let me know ... we're pretty good friends (Striegel & I).
    For anyone else out there, I have blown gas stuff I don't use anymore I'm willing to part with (pumps, extensions, Bird Catcher, etc.), just PM me and I'll send over pics and info.
    BB

Heatseeker
    I'm into mine for close to $18k. Fully dressed w/all the bells and whistles, but no intercooler. I built it from the ground up, with the first purchase being a 4-bolt block.
    You might consider using a Callie's crank. The Dragonslayer is a great bargin, forged in Kentucky and finished in Ohio. They claim it's good for 900-1000 hp. I bought the whole rotating assembly from Callie's(Manley rods, J&E pistons, Total Seal rings, internal balanced) for $3200 delivered. The only thing I wished I did different would be to have gone to a stroker crank. It's only a few bucks more and there's no replacement for displacement!
    I bought the heads used for $2500(w/one season on them) and bolted them on.
    I bought the BDS kit for $3400.
    When you add in the block cost and all the odds and ends(Endless odds and ends... ), it adds up very quickly!
    Just my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12