Thread: Carb, intake manifold chroming info...

DickDanger
    Yet another couple of questions. I have the Holley 750 carb that is finished in that dull magnesium color, and I either want it chromed or powdercoated. Also, my Edelbrock manifold I would like to see the same done as the carb, but which is the better way to go? How hard is it to chrome a carb? What kind of $$$ could I expect to pay? -DD out

lakecrazy
    Dick, I just had my Holley carb rebuilt by Bigs Performance and they apply what they call a platni-blast coating to the carbs. You can find them on e-bay.
    You can get the carb finished in just about any color you want, I went with the factory Holley gold color.
    As far as the intake manifold, I had mine ceramic-chrome coated. A very durable coating that can handle the hi temps.

Dimarco Kid
    Alot of shops do plating or coating of carbs. It will be cheaper to just buy the chrome bowls and pump covers from Holley. Any speed shop can get em'. Holley has pretty much everything in chrome replacement except the main body. You could have that powder coated and accent it with chrome. If you can't find someone to do it, Holley has their own "custom shop" so they could do it for you. www.holley.com (http://www.holley.com)
    Your intake, remember, it will only look as good as your casting is, UNLESS you smooth it. If you chromed it without smoothing it, it would look like crap. Lakecrazy said he had his ceramacoated. Same stuff they use on exhausts. That looks nice, probably as nice as you can get without smoothing the casting marks. Hope that helped a little.
    D Kid

Kwicherbichen
    DickDanger, pass on any info you find that doesn't get posted here. I wanna do some stuff to mine also.
    Brian

cyclone
    Yeah, buy the chrome bowls and body from Holley. It will cost about 250-300 bucks to chrome your intake manifold. Call Custom Chrome, they do excellent work. (626-713-3945) leave a message and they'll call you back.

1quickjet
    DD, I looked into this a while ago with my Eliminator. Riverside Fuel Injection and Electric had some chromed carbs and parts in there for exchange, I believe. Corner of Redwood and Pine?

mcshriver
    have you looked at www.hotcoat.com, (http://www.hotcoat.com,) you cure powder coat at 400-450 dgrees, i would tink it can withstand temps in the 200-250 degree range without discoloring

DEL51
    DD,The Dimarco Kid is right on about the holley stuff.I purchased 2 1150 dominators from holley 4 years ago and had their custom shop powder coat the main body and add the chrome stuff.Their chroming process was alot better than some of the other stuff you can buy. They look as good today as when they were new. The only problem was they left buffing compound in the fuel inlets. I disassembled them and cleaned them up.They had used the good non stick gaskets.