Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrical gurus help please

I got these outdoor lights around my building, the yellowish kind not the bright white ones. Some are on poles in the parking lot, some on the building (different type fixtures but same color lights). Problem is they cycle on and off (independently) all the time.
    Is this a light bulb problem (needing replacement) or something else like a ballast of some kind overheating (rexone not familiar at all with these fixtures)...
    any insight would be appreciated. :smile:

Ziggy
    I had some of those do that and it was a transformer that starts to overheat. Sodium vapor lights I think they are.
    In some cases it may be near the same cost to get replacement fixtures.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
    I got these outdoor lights around my building, the yellowish kind not the bright white ones. Some are on poles in the parking lot, some on the building (different type fixtures but same color lights). Problem is they cycle on and off (independently) all the time.
    Is this a light bulb problem (needing replacement) or something else like a ballast of some kind overheating (rexone not familiar at all with these fixtures)...
    any insight would be appreciated. :smile:
    Can you determine if there is any pattern to the cycle? it seems odd that they would all be doing it. If you have an association or pay a common area maintanence fee, i'd check with them.

KACHINA KEN
    It can be a number of things unfortunately. Sometimes the elements that control the on and off function gets freaked out and they will react erratically to light from the other units causing them to go on and off at will. I dont believe the ballast is the problem because they typically go out all together when they are having problems. Same with the lamps. These are not my forte' as I am a show lighting guy but this is what I know about these from experience.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
    It can be a number of things unfortunately. Sometimes the elements that control the on and off function gets freaked out and they will react erratically to light from the other units causing them to go on and off at will. I dont believe the ballast is the problem because they typically go out all together when they are having problems. Same with the lamps. These are not my forte' as I am a show lighting guy but this is what I know about these from experience.
    Kachina- how much longer are you going to be in seattle?

Jordy
    Are they all on one photo-electric eye or do they each have one of their own? Is it the same lights all the time or do they rotate? Ballasts are a good possiblity, but at the same time, if you're getting power interrupted, they have a period of time that they need to restrike the bulb. I'd check power supply first, look for obvious problems, like bad connections, check out the eye(s) as they will go bad, and then look at changing out major components.

Can you determine if there is any pattern to the cycle? it seems odd that they would all be doing it. If you have an association or pay a common area maintanence fee, i'd check with them.
    Doesn't seem to be any regular pattern to them. They all do it independently of each other. The ones on the poles have been doing it for years now but the one on the building just started doing it last week. Seperate circuits building vs the poles. Common area maintenence guy said go pound sand, not their problem...figures for $450 mo for parking lot sweeping and gardner who shows up about every month for a mow and blow.
    Thanx guys

Are they all on one photo-electric eye or do they each have one of their own? Is it the same lights all the time or do they rotate? Ballasts are a good possiblity, but at the same time, if you're getting power interrupted, they have a period of time that they need to restrike the bulb. I'd check power supply first, look for obvious problems, like bad connections, check out the eye(s) as they will go bad, and then look at changing out major components.
    One on building is on a photo eye. Ones on poles are on a time clock. All lights do this random and independently of each other.

So you think it's not the bulbs for sure and either ballasts or something else? Bulbs light up fine, go through their warm up routine where they start dim and get brighter, then just shut off and repeat cycle, again with no set pattern. Sometimes they're on for a minute, sometimes longer, never too long though.

Jordy
    Maybe Topless messed with them so she can get some sleep in her trailer. She was complaining about the bright lights when we were in Pomona.
    Seriously though, typically if the bulbs will light up they're good. The ballasts are the wear parts on that kind of stuff, especially if they're old.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast