Thread: Panther Impeller/Housing Clearance

77_Tahiti
    Does anyone know what the tolerances should be on a Panther jet housing inner diameter and the impeller outer diameter? If you have a manual do you mind looking to see if there are stock dimension listed. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

custom-cruiser
    I used to have a Panther in my old Witch craft. I rebuilt that pump and had pretty good luck with it, but it seemed like it would pick stuff up in front of the intake grate so I always had to swim under the boat and clear it. Any way Steve at Panther(pantherjet.com) says a stocker is 30 thousands and depending on HP and wieght of hull determins how far out you can go. Basicly if you stand on it from a dead stop and it slips you have some work to do. When I did mine I used a Devcon epoxy filler to fill the pits in the housing and build it up a little then sanded it smooth.
    Good luck http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

77_Tahiti
    custom-cruiser,
    Man someone must have stuck your old Panther unit in my boat. The fricken drive has been tampered with in the past and know appears to be wearing out from the previous quick fix! It has some green lookin putty crap on the inner wall of the housing and looks like someone took a file to the impeller outer diameter edges, resulting in a knife edge effect. I would like to have the impeller worked back to the original diameter and clean the housing up again. I was thinking of having a sleeve made for the housing, but if that Devcon filler last a while I may consider doing that as a cost saving measure. How long did that filler last in your unit before flaking off?

custom-cruiser
    The Devcon stuff was recomened by Panther marine and if I remember was white or gray. It seemed to be pretty hard stuff I ran the pump about two years with no more problems before I sold it. My pump was even worse, whoever worked on it before plugged the two holes where the 90 wt. oil goes in and just filled it up with axle grease. I'm lucky I didn't have to buy a shaft along with bearing kit. Thats what you get when a couple of DIPPY'S work on something they know nothing about! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/frown.gif

77_Tahiti
    custom-cruiser,
    Thanks for the info! Did you do the Devcon work on your housing? If so did you have the ID bored or turned afterwards or did you use a file? That green crap in my housing appears to be done with a file. As for the clearance, mine looks like around .060 were the green stuff is still bonded, however I would say there is about .090 clearance where the crap has flaked off.
    I still need the stock dimensions for the Impeller OD and the Housing ID. Thanks

custom-cruiser
    Yes I Smeared the putty in my self, What I did was simply take a bondo putty spreader(flexable plastic one)and smear the inside of the housing wear the bad pitting was then sanded it smooth with sand paper,took the little knicks out of the impellor put it on the shaft and checked for low spots and would refill sand and check again. This went on for quite awhile before I was happy with results(sick of doing it?)The Devcon is available right from Panthers web site and also they have a complete pump rebuild for 325.00 where they check tolerences.I do not have my manual any more so I don't know what the ID and OD are.
    Good luck! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif