Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much HP power will a 12JE handle

CVX20Dustin
    I have a Carlson CVX20 with a 460 and a 12JE pump with loader intake. I was told that its useless to build my motor more then 500 HP. Because the pump won't handle it do to the small intake is this true.
    Will stock exhaust log handle 500 HP or more?
    Thanks

Squirtin Thunder
    The exhaust will cosst you HP at higher RPM. So that being a fact you will want to make more power on the lower RPM range. I would biuld as muck power as you want, I would also have the impeller detailed. Say you are turning 4600rpms right now with an "A" impeller, I would have it detailed and cut down to a "AB" and you should turn about 4400 -4600 t the same speed or a bit faster. Being that you are running a 460 the cheepest things you can do is to move the cam timing strieght up, it is worth about 50hp. There is a bolt on shoe and ride plate that HTP offers. Roostwear has used this and was happy with the result, just don't do any grinding on the housing fill with putty to smooth transitions. If you can tell me more about your current engine combo.
    Jim

TexasJet
    I have a 19' Baja with a JE pump. My motor puts out about 550 HP. With the proper mods a JE will hand more power no problem. Call an expert, Duane at Hi-Tech Performance 316-794-8616. He worked on my pump and it made a world of difference. Another guy with a strong reputation is Garry Snow, 254-889-3336. Hope this helps you.

The exhaust will cosst you HP at higher RPM. So that being a fact you will want to make more power on the lower RPM range. I would biuld as muck power as you want, I would also have the impeller detailed. Say you are turning 4600rpms right now with an "A" impeller, I would have it detailed and cut down to a "AB" and you should turn about 4400 -4600 t the same speed or a bit faster. Being that you are running a 460 the cheepest things you can do is to move the cam timing strieght up, it is worth about 50hp. There is a bolt on shoe and ride plate that HTP offers. Roostwear has used this and was happy with the result, just don't do any grinding on the housing fill with putty to smooth transitions. If you can tell me more about your current engine combo.
    Jim
    Definitely agree with the exhaust thing, although his boat doesn't lend itself too well to headers (unless he could run water jacketed and keep the engine cover).
    However I don't know if he'd want to cut that impeller Jim. The CVX20 (Glastron Carlson) is a big heavy boat. I'm thinking he'd want to be around a AA or possibly A impeller. Anything smaller would probably cost him on the lower end of things, possibly even to the point where he couldn't pull tubers or skiers/wakeboarders. His boat is a different animal than most of ours here.
    http://www.classicglastron.com/77gl-...cvx20small.jpg

Squirtin Thunder
    Definitely agree with the exhaust thing, although his boat doesn't lend itself too well to headers (unless he could run water jacketed and keep the engine cover).
    However I don't know if he'd want to cut that impeller Jim. The CVX20 (Glastron Carlson) is a big heavy boat. I'm thinking he'd want to be around a AA or possibly A impeller. Anything smaller would probably cost him on the lower end of things, possibly even to the point where he couldn't pull tubers or skiers/wakeboarders. His boat is a different animal than most of ours here.
    http://www.classicglastron.com/77gl-...cvx20small.jpg
    I forgot that those things were on the heavy side.

CVX20Dustin
    Yes, the thing is heavy but it stays hooked up in the water. The stock motor (very tried 28 oil psi WO 325 HP 460) runs 4700-4800 RPM at full throttle and I think it was running 50 MPH and I don't Know what impellar it has. I have been reading your guys post on 460 and have gotten a lot of good info. I will be rebuilding the pump and the motor 500HP. I hope to get up to 60 to 65 MPH is this a real goal for me.
    Jetboatperformane told me that the pump could only handle 500 HP and a little over 5000 RPM. DO these guys Know what there talking about. I Know the exhaust Logs don't help, maybe next year a set of water jacketed header to much $ this year.
    What is cam timing streight up?
    Thats just like my boat in the picture same color and very thing.

Actually that 325 hp is probably on the optimistic side, especially if the motor's tired. Weak rings, worn valves/seats, sloppy bearings etc etc. and that power's dropped off pretty good over the years. In fact I'm not so sure that it ever had 325 hp, even when it was new.
    In my opinion, I'd believe 60-65 mph is a very realistic goal with 500 hp.
    I'll let Jim explain the cam timing thing since he opened that can o worms.
    Incidently, I've always really liked the CVX20. I think it's styling was ahead of it's time. Very cool looking boats.
    http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0bADrA...5AwrKbgPRoGgI2 SM!jOcClql3BSvdxmb0UCU!o2xCjpSwD1GazpJgSVIFGEnk5LJ QcqcVKjFcud20Rb4lW49mDITkr6vJdwkaKUtTWtAQM0sV9mnjW GcrWjjXlcPc/Bilder%20N%C3%BCrburgBoot%20005.jpg?dc=46755054058 35509091

Squirtin Thunder
    Yes, the thing is heavy but it stays hooked up in the water. The stock motor (very tried 28 oil psi WO 325 HP 460) runs 4700-4800 RPM at full throttle and I think it was running 50 MPH and I don't Know what impellar it has. I have been reading your guys post on 460 and have gotten a lot of good info. I will be rebuilding the pump and the motor 500HP. I hope to get up to 60 to 65 MPH is this a real goal for me.
    Jetboatperformane told me that the pump could only handle 500 HP and a little over 5000 RPM. DO these guys Know what there talking about. I Know the exhaust Logs don't help, maybe next year a set of water jacketed header to much $ this year.
    What is cam timing streight up?
    Thats just like my boat in the picture same color and very thing.
    OK, Yes those guys are on the ball at Jetboatperformance. You can look at the thrust bearing retainer and you will see a tagon the top of it. That tag is what will tell us what impeller it has unless it has been replaced. There is a bit of porting that can be done to the exhaust manifolds that will help. What year is the engine ??? Most likely the cam timing is about 4 - 8 degrees retarded, this is an emisions deel that Ford did to help burn the unburned fuel. It ends up super heating the exhaust. And it also hurts performance. I have seen almost 65hp on an engine Dyno from this change and up to 50hp on a chassis dyno.

Squirtin Thunder
    I have a Carlson CVX20 with a 460 and a 12JE pump with loader intake. I was told that its useless to build my motor more then 500 HP. Because the pump won't handle it do to the small intake is this true.
    Will stock exhaust log handle 500 HP or more?
    Thanks
    Easy test !!! Take the loader what ever type it is off and run it with the stock grate. If there is an improvement it doesn't help.

CVX20Dustin
    OK, Yes those guys are on the ball at Jetboatperformance. You can look at the thrust bearing retainer and you will see a tagon the top of it. That tag is what will tell us what impeller it has unless it has been replaced. There is a bit of porting that can be done to the exhaust manifolds that will help. What year is the engine ??? Most likely the cam timing is about 4 - 8 degrees retarded, this is an emisions deel that Ford did to help burn the unburned fuel. It ends up super heating the exhaust. And it also hurts performance. I have seen almost 65hp on an engine Dyno from this change and up to 50hp on a chassis dyno.
    The motor is a 1980. I don't know what block or heads it has.
    I will need to dig it out of the snowbank soon to start on the motor and at that time I will see what impeller it has.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast