Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Had Problems !!!

Hallett19
    I was cruising to sandbar this morning and my boat started to run rough, at 4700 rpm's it was pulling about 45psi of oil, I know, thats low, but the motor started doing its normal ticking and then it seemed like it was cycling through some bad gas, but I think it was more of a lost cylinder, lifters collapsed and wouldnt let it fire, so it is idling about 500 rpm's so I turn up the idle and it is missing and burbling aroung 1000rpm's, a few min later, the idle shoots up, so I turn it down and give it gas...ran perfect, keep on it for a few and its running rough again, then completely dies and I thought that was the end. Start it up 20 min later, good as new!!!! HELP!!! My best guess and gut instinct says, oil is heating up and a few lifters are trashed and are letting go. New lifters, a check of the bearings and an oil cooler and things should be cool. Sorry about the novel....

flattie
    Mine was doing somthing like that last year & I found a broken spring on the mechanical advance in the dist. it was changing the timing. and it felt like it was running then it got bad gas them it cleared out and fell on its face. Last place I htought of looking. I would take a look couldn't hurt.
    Rick

Hallett19
    Yeah, but I am loosing oil press at high rpm's still, but that spring thing could be a problem as well.......back to the top !! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

GM Killer
    Make sure it is not taking on water. I had a motor that acted similar, and couldnt find the problem. The oil was clean but the pressure was dropping. When it let go, it all went. I thought I blew a head gasket, but the cylinder wall cracked, and I snapped a rod. This all happened after a week of tuning and searching in the driveway. One minute in the water and it was done. So be careful. It might be worth a teardown.

Hallett19
    If the oil was clean, what was taking on water ? The boat itself ?

Wet Dream
    God damn Aaron, what the hell are you doing to that boat? Try my route...replace everything, it limits the "What the F@ck is it now?" phrase. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

gnarley
    Originally posted by flattie:
    Mine was doing somthing like that last year & I found a broken spring on the mechanical advance in the dist.
    Rick
    Hallett, check your dist just for the hell of it! Make sure the mechanical advance moves smoothly and freely! If it's dirty clean it & put a little lube on the bottom of the weights and in the shaft to ensure it doesn't bind as flattie says! This absolutely could do what you are experiencing if the mechanical side of the advance is stiff!
    Oh & 45 PSI oil at 4700 is OK! If it were below 40 I would question it!!!
    By the way how old is the engine and what oil do you use???
    [This message has been edited by gnarley (edited April 29, 2002).]

Bense468
    He said put a little lube on the shaft. LOL

Hallett19
    The engine is fairly new, a year maybe, and I use Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic oil. But the oil press starts off over 50 when it is cold, then after warming up, it slowly drops, it has a HV oil pump, so you think it would pull more than that, when I fist built it, it would have about 70 at wide open when it was cold and over 50 when hot, I think the bearings are going. And Bill, I think I am going to redo it to eliminate that "WTF factor"

gnarley
    OK , Hallett your boat is a 70's or early 80's vintage, right??? So is the engine??? right??? In my humble opinion I belive you are using the wrong weight oil. How many of the people out there really know what the numbers really mean in the multi weight oils??? Do you know? Please tell me what you think they mean.
    This particular topic might get some real discussion if were posted as a topic in itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast