Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Networking

Outnumbered
    Just got another computer. Hooked the two together using a Cat6 Ethernet cable. Went thru the network setup wizarrd. No mater what I do the puter's telling me the cable is not connected. Is a Cat6 Ethernet cable the wrong one? Looks just like Cat5 and plugs in the same. Gal at BestBuy says that Cat6 is better because its faster. I have never hooked two machines together and really don't know WTF I am doing but it seems like it shoud be plug and play--easy.
    Any ideas???
    Thanks
    OL

Tom Brown
    Is a Cat6 Ethernet cable the wrong one?
    No. Cat 6 will work but you don't need it.
    The problem is that you need a CROSSOVER cable. Cat 5 or Cat5e is plenty good enough and the speed between any of the cables will be EXACTLY THE SAME.

Phat Matt
    No. Cat 6 will work but you don't need it.
    The problem is that you need a CROSSOVER cable. Cat 5 or Cat5e is plenty good enough and the speed between any of the cables will be EXACTLY THE SAME.
    or a hub.

rvrhlic
    Just got another computer. Hooked the two together using a Cat6 Ethernet cable. Went thru the network setup wizarrd. No mater what I do the puter's telling me the cable is not connected. Is a Cat6 Ethernet cable the wrong one? Looks just like Cat5 and plugs in the same. Gal at BestBuy says that Cat6 is better because its faster. I have never hooked two machines together and really don't know WTF I am doing but it seems like it shoud be plug and play--easy.
    Any ideas???
    Thanks
    OL
    You can't just hook 2 computer together and have it work. Idealy you should go through a router but a switch will work fine. I am not sure about the cat6 cable, but you will not really see a difference over cat5 unless you have a gigabit connection in that case you can use cat5e.

locogringo
    I know what the problem is that you are having. Follow the following steps and it should be resolved...
    1. Disconnect Cat6 cable from both computers.
    2. Acquire the Felis catus or F. domesticus and have it go and get 5 more of said kind
    3. While this may seem to take a considerable amount of time, the key is in developing patience
    4. When Felis catus or F. domesticus returns with 5 more, then plug one of their tails into the E-port of one computer, string the remaining five together and with the other tail on the other end, plug that in. This is a TRUE CAT6 cable not the generic kind that Circuit City or such has.
    Any further problems, refer to owner's manual

Tom Brown
    You can't just hook 2 computer together and have it work.
    Yes you can, with a crossover cable or a hub, as Matt suggests.

Outnumbered
    OK, I was thinking you just hooked them together. What is the easiest way to do this? What exacty is a hub? Where and how much does it cost? Should I just do a wireless thing? I am clueless to this stuff.
    Thanks

Phat Matt
    OK, I was thinking you just hooked them together. What is the easiest way to do this? What exacty is a hub? Where and how much does it cost? Should I just do a wireless thing? I am clueless to this stuff.
    Thanks
    do you have high speed access? is one a laptop?

Outnumbered
    I know what the problem is that you are having. Follow the following steps and it should be resolved...
    1. Disconnect Cat6 cable from both computers.
    2. Acquire the Felis catus or F. domesticus and have it go and get 5 more of said kind
    3. While this may seem to take a considerable amount of time, the key is in developing patience
    4. When Felis catus or F. domesticus returns with 5 more, then plug one of their tails into the E-port of one computer, string the remaining five together and with the other tail on the other end, plug that in. This is a TRUE CAT6 cable not the generic kind that Circuit City or such has.
    Any further problems, refer to owner's manual
    WTF????

locogringo
    would you like my opinion again.. i really am not that immature once you get to know me...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast