Thread: Hey Texas ***boaters! I need help/info on Texas lakes???

Sandbar Mike
    Hey Guys,
    I have family in Texas outside of Houston that are jabbing at me to check into lake front houses out there.
    Can you recommend any Good Lakes to live at near the houston area by within 1hrs drive.
    I have looked at Conroe and really liked what I saw, but don't know Texas well enough to know.
    Thanks in advance

Greaser
    Conroe, looks like a great lake, but I have never boated there. Just drove thru. I guess it all depends on what type of boat you have. I usually boat on lake Somerville, which is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Houston,but its not really a good lake for "BIG" boats

sdba069
    Conroe is more big boat condusive. We attempted a drag boat race there a few years ago and it was disasterous. We raced in the cove by PaPa's on the Lake, I think that was the name of the place. I believe my class was the only one to be completed and only because there were only 2 boats that stayed and attempted to run. I actally won it. I think I was the only racer there to get a trophy or check. It looked good on paper.

Jim Hall
    Conroe is a mess for small boats. Way too many jetski's and big boats. I to was at that race and it was a mess!! I am just finishing up building a house on Lake Houston which is about 45min to an hour from Houston.We have been jetting there for about 5 years and love it. It had a bad reputation back in the 70's and for some reason a lot of people have not changed their minds. It is now a constant level lake and supplies drinking water to north Houston and to Katy. Property is going fast and rising in value at a tremendous pace.

Sandbar Mike
    How about Lake Ray Hubberd?

jdf
    hubberd is in dallas i think

Sweet Addiction
    How about Lake Ray Hubberd?
    Lake Ray Hubbard is on I-30 headed out of Dallas, East. Its a big lake, usually rough, lots of trees, I think its pretty much a lake that "Sail boater's" like to go to.
    If your serious about Houston, I know a lot of people just make the drive over to Austin and go to Lake Travis for the weekend. Lake Travis is so worth it in every way. If you have a big boat you can head to the south end of the lake, because the water gets rough. If you have a smaller boat you need to head up river, its gets smoother, and its nice also.
    Jared.

taylormanss
    Don't move to houston,move to Corpus Christi,We boat all year long on lake Corpus Christi,there's all kinds of property for sale there,and it's only 3 hours to houston,you also have medina lake in san antonio,canyon lake in new braunfels,and del rio has a beautiful lake.In Orange Grove,tx. which is about ten miles from lake Corpus there are quite a few jetboat,v-drives,and other performance boaters,who are always willing to lend a hand to their bretheren in the boating world.They also have a ***boat gathering at lake Corpus Christi
    on laborday called JETFEST .SO like I said don't buy anything in houston area,come to SOUTH TEXAS which is GOD'S COUNTRY!
    taylormanss STUCK IN PORT ARTHUR!!!!!!!!!! :hammerhea :hammerhea

Sandbar Mike
    Drivn'm Crazy & taylormans
    Thanks for the info, My brother lives near Housten I just thought I'd check out the near area's to there. I'm also interested in San Antonio and surrounding area. I just want to know where the prime spots are up there.
    Waterfront is my motivation, We are getting out there to visit in the comming months, I'm going to have to really check it out.
    Thanks again

rrrr
    Conroe is more big boat condusive. We attempted a drag boat race there a few years ago and it was disasterous. We raced in the cove by PaPa's on the Lake, I think that was the name of the place. I believe my class was the only one to be completed and only because there were only 2 boats that stayed and attempted to run. I actally won it. I think I was the only racer there to get a trophy or check. It looked good on paper.
    Hey Garry, we towed our big boat down from Plano that weekend to see the races. Jeez, is Lake Conroe part of the ocean?
    Sure was some rough water.
    If you go to the San Antonio area, Canyon Lake is very nice.