Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear drive ??????'s

Fiat48
    Here's why I said "No Damn Cloyes". While they used to be "the best" for a chain setup (Reynolds chain) as far as I was concerned the last 2 that I installed stretched like hell. The one on my alky deal was gone in 5 passes.
    Now I know some older ones that are still out there running, I have checked them and they are still tight...just like the old days.
    I mentioned chain setups earlier this year when I was building a 541 for a guy and several guys commented that the Cloyes was not holding up like they used to. I think someone (Cstraub69? Not sure) said the chains were stretching on his customers engines and he was now using the Iwis chain setup.
    So I went the Iwis deal on that motor.
    I went back in and checked it and it is still tight.
    Your mileage may vary....your experience may vary.
    I still have one Blown alky deal out there with a cloyes (bought 5 years ago) which replaced a Pete Jackson gear drive because the Jackson had cracked the lower drive gear. That chain is still tight.
    So who the Hell knows? But if a part fails on me...I pass the word to you. I don't know about other brand chain setup as I have not used them.
    Discussion on chains and gear drives is in the middle of this thread: http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69482

MikeF
    Your mileage may vary. :boxed:

Fiat48
    O.k. Snowboat....what do you mean by "I can't seem to put a true roller chain in the engine" ???

Moneypitt
    Maybe the cam degree #s won't jive, just a guess...........MP

Snowboat
    O.k. Snowboat....what do you mean by "I can't seem to put a true roller chain in the engine" ???
    I made that statement because of the bad things that I've read here about chains in higher horsepower engines. I should have been more clear. Also, I feel that if you are going to buy a part, you should be able to use it over at rebuild. I wouldn't do that with a Cloyes. I'm hoping for good mileage.

blowngas
    I've run Rollmaster chain drives that use the Iwis chain in several roller cam race motors----just ordered one the other day from Scoggins Dickey----check their website----decent price, and you can get them shorter length if you have to line bore your block

GofastRacer
    Well I'm keeping my big mouth shut on this one!. But I've got to say that if you're going to use a chain, the Iwis is the only way to go these days!..

superdave013
    Gofastracer is a fan of the Jessie Jackson. He will be here with a commercial shortly. LOL.
    :jawdrop:

GofastRacer
    :jawdrop:
    Focken smartass!..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12