Thread: EGT Temps

SJ Valley Dave
    Buddy has a twin turbo t-4 water jacketed set up on a 462" BBC in a mini day cruiser. What is the hottest EGT readings that he should see. First time out this Sunday after hard runing he saw 1500, then it would cool down real fast as soon as he got out of the throttle and let it breath a little. How high is too high??? Thanks for the help.....

HeavyHitter
    1400-1600 is about normal. It's all a function of A/R ratios compressor efficiency and cam selection. Inconel valves are highly recommended.

Fiat48
    In my opinion 1450 is it...for gasoline. But...more importantly..you have to find out if the temp is from burning fuel in the exhaust pipe. You can high EGT and be fat. So richen the fuel mixture and see if it comes down...or goes up. Then you'll know where you are at.
    This is really more alcohol related than gasoline..but good idea to check it.

Both HeavyHitter & Fiat48 is very correct ... the higher RPM's could cause a false reading due to fuel buring still in the exhaust manifold due to a too rich condition ... that could be why when you got out of the throttle the temps went down
    get yourself a baseline, make 2 -3 adjustments to the mixture while recording the readings ... and see where the temps go ... 1400 -1500 should be a good Gas reading ... 1500-1600 for Alcohol
    Have fun!
    BB

Floored
    Aw heck, my n/a 455 runs 1250-1400 deg when I'm runnin hard depending on air temp and gas I use. richened it a touch on secondaries and went to 1300 runnin.. I'm on my 5th year with no probs. SS valves.

Sleek-Jet
    How accurate is the EGT guage, and what type is it?? I've seen some be off by several hundred degrees. There are ways to test the gauge and probe against a known value.

Nstigator74
    EGT's are a good tuning tool, BUT, the egt's should not replace a good plug reading. Just my .02

Fiat48
    yes..one backs up the other.