Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Droop without ride plate

moneysucker
    A friend of mine is buying one of my droops and I have never run one without a ride plate. He has a charger style boat, Not sure the manufacturer since I have not seen it in a couple years. It is a semi V bottom and he will have a place diverter and is buying my place droop and I was wondering if it will help or hurt his performance. I would not want to sell him something that will cause him to have to machine the intake and add a shoe and ride plate to run the part correctly. He is slow enough getting on the water as it is. Thanks, I have never tried this on anything before and figured someone on here could enlighten me with their experience. Thanks
    Cy

I'll put up my experience with the PD droop. I used one on my boat prior to setback, shoe, and rideplate. It helped on my boat, but there are no guarantees that it'll work on you friend's hull. It'll have to be a try and see thing. If he's really a pal, let him try it first to see what it'll do for him. He's going to wanna try some wedging both up and down. Mine liked 4 degrees up, but his may be different. If you can scrape up a good selection of wedges 1, 2, 4, degrees he could try different combinations. If you can find the plastic ones he can stack em without having to use gaskets in between. I set mine up with some allthread so I didn't have to buy a bunch of different length bolts.
    Obviously he'd get better results and tunability with the shoe and plate, but it's possible that it'll work to some degree without the rest of the hardware.
    Dan

kojac
    Installed one on a 19+ft marlin open bow daycruiser. heavy boat. It picked up about 2 miles and hour but the boat porpoised at mid to high speed. (at that time 52mph) After I installed the shoe and ride plate and straightened the bottom I was able to pick up about 3 mph more before other mods. Had to work with the wedges and rideplate to take out the porpoiseing. Eventually got the boat to 78 mph but had to back off due to boat starting to show stress cracks and short stringers. Let the wife have it to cruise and pull skiers.
    The boat would pull up three big skiers and was really good for barefooting before I straightened the bottom. Had to use the Place divertor in the down position after the bottom work and It still didn't pull the skiers up as effienciently as before even with more horsepower.
    Kojac

1978 Rogers
    I thought about getting one of the PD droops and ride plates, but it sounds like most people on here think its a better to get a shoe rideplate dealey. Do it right the first time. So I'm waiting until I find a place up here to have it done.

Duane HTP
    This is the perfect place for the Add On Shoe and Ride Plate Kit that we produce, (Hi-Tech). You can purchase them from most any reputable dealer today, $225.00. This is basically what they were designed for. They are not a better way to go than to redo your boat bottom and have the intake itself shoed, ($800.00 to $1500.00), but they are a great inexpensive way to add a ride plate to a boat that needs one, such as the situation in this thread that Moneysucker is asking about.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/im...oe_Kit_293.jpg
    This kit fits the JG & JC pumps.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/3e-sho~1.jpg
    This Kit Fits the JE & JF Pumps

I installed one of Duane's shoe/plate kits on my E, and it was money well spent. I didn't necessarily pick up big speed, but the ride improved TREMENDOUSLY.
    Duane, the housing is fixed, what's next to fine tune the shoe?

victorfb
    I installed one of Duane's shoe/plate kits on my E, and it was money well spent. I didn't necessarily pick up big speed, but the ride improved TREMENDOUSLY.
    Duane, the housing is fixed, what's next to fine tune the shoe?
    raise the shoe 3/16".... (inside joke)

Vic, look in the bottom pic in Duane's post and you can see why it can't be milled.
    Your straight edge is off by about 3/16

Duane HTP
    Victorfb, there "are" some things you can do to fine tune the shoe.
    Call me 316-794-8616 and I'll explain.

moneysucker
    Thanks for the info. I know all about the ride plate and shoe and any high performnce boat I have owned has had that set up and I always have a droop. I think the ride plate and shoe of yours is the ticket for him. He will never be the fastest in the group, Our group now is all at 100+ so him being married and all and soon to have a family, the budget route on both time and $ is the way to go. He does have a diverter for nozzle adjustment and I have a bunch of different wedges for him to choose from. I will let him buy it now since it isn't going to hurt the un known performance of the boat. It was purchased running, and torn apart to freshen up before they ever ran it and here it sits 3 years later still not on the water. I am trying to light a fire under his a$$ and get some mor people on the water. As long as you don't mess with things that are working, boating can be an inexpensive recreational activity. lol
    Cy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast