Thread: WIW - Pontiac Hdwr & Hemi box

racincraft440
    Ran across a guy at a swapmeet that has a complete 400 Pontiac longblock (72 model yr), all the marine hardware (manifolds, elbows, timing cover, bellhousing), a couple of "stainless" propshafts, propellers and a Hemi v-drive gearbox. He claims it was a running motor when the boat was parted out. He's asking $500.
    Just wondering what the stuff is worth?
    I'll either use the Pontiac setup in my jet boat or I'm thinking I'd break it up and post it ALL on Ebay to fund a Splitcase Casale for my other rig (Rayson Craft v-drive).
    I know the Pontiac stuff has a pretty limited market. I haven't bought the stuff yet, got his number and may go over to his place this afternoon.

YeLLowBoaT
    Well a set of nicson logs a risers just sold on ebay for about 100. If the mounts are in good shape they should go for about 150 ish.
    on the long block it all depends on the heads, and internols... hell I have 1600 in just pistons and pins. the good thing about the 72 and up stuff is it has low compression. if you do end up buying the set up. ( if it has nicson logs and riser not gleenwood) I'll make you a deal on the logs and risers... just in case I ever want to switch back from the rewarder TT headers I am having built.

racincraft440
    Well, this is not a SPAM to make a sale.
    But I just talked to the guy and the ALL the marine hardware and logs are Edelbrock stuff (No Glenwood or Nicson). And usually the Edlebrocks are the smaller 2&1/2" outlet.
    The sweet part of the deal is there's a splitcase Casale gearbox that comes with the package. I'm hoping it's a 12 degree box BUT the guy doesn't want to break the package up. So, I'm thinking I wouldn't have too much problem getting rid of the Poncho 400 to a local for a couple hundred but am really wondering if anyone messes around wiith the old "Hemi' brand boxes or are they a dinosaur like my old-style toploader Casales???

poncho-pwr
    Like yellowboat said, it depends on exactly what heads and block the 400 is made up of. I would be happy to help you out with anything if you decide to run the Pontiac...That's what I do.

superdave013
    I'd like to have that "Hemi' v drive. It would just be wall art though.

racincraft440
    Well, I went and did the deal.
    Here's some #'s I got off of the 400 Poncho......
    Casting # at Rr of block behind cyl head - 481988
    Stamping # at Rf of below cyl. head - 194109
    Heads have a "4X" at the 3/5 & 4/6 exhaust ports
    The block does have a "400" cast onto it so I'm thinking I didn't get stiffed with a 326 or 350. Are those heads any good?
    The "Hemi" gearbox appears to be a parallel shaft and it is huge compared to the 12 degree Casale I got in the deal. This thing is strange, as in it has no output shaft. The Propshaft is threaded AND splined and it goes through the lower end of the gearbox and it looks like a nut would go on the otherside (towards bow) to retain it. Anyone still run one of these or is it a dinosaur? It is polished and good looking garage deco.
    I think I'm going to do a compression test and try to fire up the 400. The crank turned nicely by hand. It has all Edelbrock marine hardware, all in good shape except one manifold has a crack welded. It has an aluminum flywheel, the PTO take-off, a really nice full length Moroso anodized oilpan, an HEI dist. an Edelbrock Performer manifold & 755 Neovane pump too.
    I've pondered dropping it in my boat for a while or into the wifes 67 Camaro since I would only need a few pass. car pieces to git er done but I know she wouldn't go for it.

YeLLowBoaT
    4x = 73-74 400 and 455 dports
    2.11intake 1.66 exhuast. I beleave they are 98 cc or 114 cc
    at the stamping # was there something like
    Y3,ZN,ZS,XK,XN,XX,YI,YP,YX,YZ,Y4,ZK,ZX or something smilar..
    that will tell you when, where and what it is( came out of..)
    those motors were not rated for very much hp from 200-230hp

racincraft440
    Ok, thanks.
    IIRC, those heads have the big intake, but small exhaust valves. A change they did around 72 or so.
    I'll check again for a 2-digit code tomorrow.
    Dean