Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To build or not to build...

n8dawg
    First of all is a full stinger boat mean that the stringers go all the way up into the bow? I have a 1973 Miller, simi V hull and the stringers do not go all the way up into the bow. Is that full stinger? Another question I have is. My stringer on the left (drivers side) side appears to be rotted,the wood has rotted out just a little bit undernieth the fiberglass and is not glassed to the hull. The rest of it is fine and the passenger side is ok. Can this be repaired? Or do I have to replace the whole stringer. I'm on a budget. Could this be the reason I have some stress cracks on that same side? What to do about those? Finally, Is this a boat worth building? Are Millers known in the boating world? I got a 455/400-450hp with dual quads and a jacuzzi wj pump. GPS is 60 mph. I would like a nice 70- 75 mph boat. I was planning on getting a place diverter on it by the summer time but now I'm a little hesitant about going faster if it's going put more stress on the stringer and the hull.
    You guys got any ideas? Thank you for your time!

BrendellaJet
    Are you saying the stringer is not glassed to the hull? hmmmm...
    the stringer needs to be. If a stringer shows signs or rot, Id fix it. There have been plenty of threads on here about that and how to go about it yourself. With some patience and a little practice you could put new stringers in and KNOW that the boat was solid.
    Stress cracks are there from abuse most likely, although they could be there because of inadequate bracing for the deck. There have been a few threads on that as well. To repair them, you need to grind them out completely, and lay some resin/fiberglass mat in place -obviously that kills the paint job. If they are not bad, you could forget about em.
    the 455 is not the best motor to have. they suffer from inadeqaute oiling and unless you know what has been done, id probably write off going that fast with one-its likely to end up in disappointment and youll probably need a rebuild. The big block Chevy and Ford motors are a better foundation for going fast as they will rev better and are cheaper to build and have fewer design flaws for waht you want to do.
    The WJ is a decent pump. Its not a berkeley and is therefor misunderstood by lots of people. Dont let the haters get you down on it. Mine will be doing 100 plus soon...
    To go fast costs money. Have you considered swapping motors? Dont get me wrong, your goals can be reached with the olds/jacuzzi, but it will cost you. Even then, for similar money you could be going faster more reliably with a Chevy or Ford. The mods that need to be done cost about the same as they do on the other pumps.
    Millers are good boats. All boats will deteriorate if abused long enough. If you hang out in the V drive forum long enough, Jim miller and his son Garrett post once in a while. Check it out.

Brooski
    Remind me on Saturday or Sunday at Casitas, we will take a look at it and discuss it, over beers, of course.

Heatseeker
    I think Jim Miller is Garrett Miller's uncle, not father.
    You might consider towing your boat up to Jim Miller's place in Santa Maria and have him give it a look. He could tell you for sure what you need to do to make the boat right.
    And watch that Brooski guy, he's a sly one...

n8dawg
    yeah I all ready know about the 455 and it's flaws. I'm a chevy man myself. Probably just drive the boat till the engine blows then go about building the chevy motor. I will look for those other posts about the stringers if nobody writes in. Thanks for the help.

Brooski
    Reeeeally???????? Got the injection tubes fixed yesterday, so its time to put the headers on.

n8dawg
    yeah over beers

superdave013
    I think Jim Miller is Garrett Miller's uncle, not father.
    You might consider towing your boat up to Jim Miller's place in Santa Maria and have him give it a look. He could tell you for sure what you need to do to make the boat right.
    John Miller is Garretts father. All 3 of them can be found posting in the v drive forum. I suggest everyone taking a peek at both the boats they did not long ago.
    I will be the first to say that Millers are not my bag. But.....they are timeless classics and have a cult type of following. Just like Schiada's are for me.
    Your boat restored I would say will bring more re-sale $$$$ then an avg. mid 70's jet. Worth fixing, you bet!
    Does your trailer have the fiberglass Miller fenders?

Heatseeker
    Reeeeally???????? Got the injection tubes fixed yesterday, so its time to put the headers on.
    Right on!
    Did you fix the lines yourself?
    I'm waiting on the dough for a new ignition box and I'm ready re-assemble! I'm getting cabin fever, I need a ride.... :rollside:
    Sorry for the hijack n8dawg. Dave makes a good point about the Miller boats. Definitley worth fixing.

n8dawg
    nope, no fiberglass fenders on the trailer, but it does sport a matching paint job as the boat. I'll see if can post a pic later on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast