Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public service Announcement

dean51267
    Everyone, check your seats, if you are cursing down the lake at 60 mph and they let go, it will NOT be fun. Personal experience, driving down from Kentucky Damn Marina to Aurora to listen to Hot August Blues last year, about a 30 mile trip, I am moving and shaking cause I need to meet my banking buddy at the Marina near the amphitheater....
    The cell rings, I cut back the throttle a bit, reach for the phone, and WHAM - the seat lets go from the side first, then the floor, as I stumble the kill switches trip, I am still holding the wheel, so I go into a tight turn, then go flying across the cabin.........
    about 10 minutes later (I know the time cause of the cell phone had the time on it) I come to, blood everywhere, big gash over my left eye, BOTH bolster seats destroyed, the one I was in cause it let go, the other cause my body slammed into it at 50 plus mph.
    I limp back to the marina, sore, hurting, bad, real bad, get the boat in the marina and take the following pics..........
    Lesson learned, check your seats, and recheck your seats, they can come loose, they could have a faulty design, mine were put into the floor with little twist in screws like you put office furniture in with, it lasted for a while, but in time, well you heard the story....
    I am lucky, one permanent scar and therapy for my shoulder, still can't sleep at night, still take lots of Motrin, but if I had not had my glasses on it would have ripped out my left eye, and if I had my wife with me I would have crushed here (I am a good sized guy, she is small). If there had been a kid in that seat, dear lord, well, you get the picture....
    So, check your boats, make sure the seats are in good, that the manufacturer put them in n a way that will keep them from coming loose. I am still working with mine, it will be ready for spring boating in 6 weeks or so, sporting a new paint job with vivid colors, and a damn well grounded set of seats.....
    HEY- I got a ton of cool pics, but all seem to large to upload, any ideas? Can I save them in a lower quality and then upload?

MRS FLYIN VEE
    wow that is a very bad experience.. I am glad you didn't get hurt any worse then you did.. it could have been worse. Thank You for the warning. everyone should check their seats and the tow hitches all the time. I have seen tow hitches come loose also.
    good luck with the therapy and hope you get well soon. :shift:

Sleek-Jet
    Are they saved as .jpg??? Try that and reduce them down to about 600x600 if you can. That should work.

dean51267
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...r=2396&cat=500
    I got enought of them loaded so you can see the effect....
    Thanks to the techs who helped, I am not there yet, but am learning......

dean51267
    damn, I feel like an idiot, oh well, I will keep working on it.

Mandelon
    Need longer screws.....

The cell rings, I cut back the throttle a bit, reach for the phone, and WHAM - the seat lets go from the side first, then the floor, as I stumble the kill switches trip, I am still holding the wheel, so I go into a tight turn, then go flying across the cabin.........
    Moral of story: Never talk on cell phone while driving high performance boat.

(especially one with defectively mounted seats)..
    The above is a weak attempt at humor

Havasu Hangin'
    Need longer screws.....
    I'd try to through-bolt those, too.
    I had some lag-bolted ones pull out like that one time...turned out the floor had gotten soft.
    Good luck.

Mandelon
    I was referencing the story posted on here about the boat that had loose seats and he rescrewed them with longer screws. But at launch time the boat wouldn't come off the trailer......the author had used screws so long they penetrated the hull and went into the trailer bunks.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast