Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Starter Trouble

Rev. Williams
    Well I've had the boat less then a year and I've now had 2 starters explode on me. Now when I say explode I mean the main thrust gear hits the flywheel with a huge CLANK !!! then shatters the shaft behind it. What the F could be causing this? After the first break I replaced the bolts with high-end ones, made sure it was torqued and aligned right and all was good for a few month and maybe 50+ starters with it. During that time I never heard a miss/alignment problem before the break. The motor is mildly built but I would not consider it to be high compression (maybe 10-1)
    Also, this new starter came from a guy in Palmdale and I lost his number. Does someone know his number? He's off the 14 at S (go right,EAST) first light turn left, go about a half mile and turn right towards a small industrial park, turn left into the park and he's on the right with the shop facing West. I think it was something Electric. I'm hoping this starter has more the a 90 day warranty

GofastRacer
    Did you check starter gear to flywheel clearance?, sounds like you need to add shims!..
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/21Shims.jpg

Moneypitt
    OK I'll throw this out there, It has to be something in the solenoid wiring. Either the main HOT battery lead is somehow touching the small "s" terminal on the solenoid, or the starter switch is arcing across to the "start" position while running. Since you've had 50 or so sucessful starts with it, I doubt it needs any shims. The other possible cause is a sticking solenoid, allowing the gear to stay engaged in the flywheel until the heat causes the bendix to seize up, and twists the shaft until it breaks. I don't know how loud your boat is, but could you hear a sticking starter gear?......MP

GofastRacer
    OK I'll throw this out there, It has to be something in the solenoid wiring. Either the main HOT battery lead is somehow touching the small "s" terminal on the solenoid, or the starter switch is arcing across to the "start" position while running. Since you've had 50 or so sucessful starts with it, I doubt it needs any shims. The other possible cause is a sticking solenoid, allowing the gear to stay engaged in the flywheel until the heat causes the bendix to seize up, and twists the shaft until it breaks. I don't know how loud your boat is, but could you hear a sticking starter gear?......MP
    Then what does this mean??? "the main thrust gear hits the flywheel with a huge CLANK" ???....

Moneypitt
    Is that a "clank" when trying to start?? Or a Clank while running?? It could be kicking back if it is when he is trying to start it. A weak or under powered battery will allow an engine to kick back, maybe the dist weights are stuck at that time?? I don't really know, Art, but most of the problems I've seen make a hell of a noise, cling, cling, but don't break the starter shaft. In fact, I've seen many, many broken noses, split drive gears etc. but never seen a shaft broken. Is he using the bracket at the brush end of the starter to the block? As we have discussed before Art, I have never, repeat never, had to use a shim on a chevy starter. Pontiacs, yes, but never on a chevy and I've never had a problem conserning starter ring to drive engagement................MP

GofastRacer
    Is that a "clank" when trying to start?? Or a Clank while running?? It could be kicking back if it is when he is trying to start it. A weak or under powered battery will allow an engine to kick back, maybe the dist weights are stuck at that time?? I don't really know, Art, but most of the problems I've seen make a hell of a noise, cling, cling, but don't break the starter shaft. In fact, I've seen many, many broken noses, split drive gears etc. but never seen a shaft broken. Is he using the bracket at the brush end of the starter to the block? As we have discussed before Art, I have never, repeat never, had to use a shim on a chevy starter. Pontiacs, yes, but never on a chevy and I've never had a problem conserning starter ring to drive engagement................MP
    Well that could be but it sounds like he's saying it clanks when he goes to start it, maybe I understood it wrong, and yes what you say is definitely a possible!..As far as shims goes, I have two in mine, without them the gear hangs up and it sounds horrible when you crank it and I have a GM starter. I've always had to have at least one shim on a starter on a big block, I even have one on my dually!..

Rev. Williams
    Okay guys lets not fight
    The "clank" was just when it first broke. There was never a sound coming from it prior. When I fired it up it ingaged/clanked then just made a spinning sound after.
    From what I can tell this is what happend.... The starter bolts were bad and actually bent at the knurls. So now when the starter ingaged and twisted from the stress of turning the flywheel it got bound for a split second and snaped the starter.
    I've already done the leg work to find the ARP bolts for the replacement and all should be fine in a few days. If not, I'll start carrying a back up starter

Jetdriver
    Maybe its your mechanic!

ELIMINAT THIS
    As we have discussed before Art, I have never, repeat never, had to use a shim on a chevy starter. Pontiacs, yes, but never on a chevy and I've never had a problem conserning starter ring to drive engagement................MP
    Bingo I have replaced many starters in sb and bb chevys never a shim once. pontiac maybe 2 times 6-7 + shims each. now back to :boxingguy

Moneypitt
    Find one of the factory braces that anchors to the block from the brush end of the starter. If your bending starter bolts there is something very wrong, unless they loosened up?? Use the bracket, decent, knurled bolts, and your problem should be over........MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast