Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford V10 vs 460 or Chevy454

Wizard29
    Looking at buying a 29' to 34' motorhome with a gas engine.
    Seems like I have my choice of the Ford V-10, the Ford 460, or the Chevy 454. What's the general consensus around here on which one is the best to get in a motorhome?

dicudmore
    all 3 work OK for motorhomes...
    If you can get a diesel, you WILL be happier

Squirtin Thunder
    Seems like I have my choice of the Ford V-10, the Ford 460, or the Chevy 454. What's the general consensus around here on which one is the best to get in a motorhome?
    It is my choice to run the 460 EFI. I have tons of miles and it is just like the energizer bunny. It has 478K on it and original hoses. I did have to replace the water pump at about 350K though. I also get desent milage concidering, it is in a 4x4 dually lifted 6" it is also a long bed supercab truck. 9mpg in town and about 13 - 16mpg on the freeway.

jbtrailerjim
    My dad has a 30' with the Ford V10 in it. He loves it. I've driven it before and it has plenty of power.

sigepmock
    If you can, try and find a newer moho with the Chevy 8.1L on the Work Horse chasis. That seems to be the next best thing to the diesel, from the research I've done. We've rented a 25' class C with the 460efi for New Years to see how it does, I'll let you know.
    Chris

spectratoad
    I have a 35' Class A with a Ford V10 in it. I tow the boat, a Spectra 20', ATV's, My Jeep Cherokee with no problems. It is in whatever chassis that Ford puts out for motorhomes.
    I would prefer a diesel and eventually will get one but I am not disappointed with what I have.

Cole Trickle
    Go with the Dual Scorpions!!!
    Diesel would be my first choice followed by the 8.1L

dmontzsta
    Either way you go, you are going to drink gas. The best way is diesel.
    Out of the 3, I would go with the 460. With my experience they just keep going and going, the drink the gas, but so do the other candidates.

Jim W
    Wizard,
    I am not a motor home owner or have any RV experience to speak of however, I store lots of them with my storage business.
    What I heard a few years ago is:
    the 454 will out pull the Fords on hills but the Chevys have a wimpy chassis and dont handle well with that big box on em. They weebole-wobble down the road.
    I have one veteran RV guy who bought a new RV on a Chevy chassis and after his first trip turned it in for a Ford chassis. The thing was all over the road. This guy has had lots of RV's but never a new one and went for the Chevy.
    One thing that this guy pointed out about the Chevy chassis is that they dont sit level. The rear is jacked up to carry the weight. If ya look at one, you will see what I am talking about. Also, if you look at the steering gears, they are (or were) right out of a pick-up truck. The Fords have a bigger gear in em.
    This is what I was told a few years ago. It could be that things have changed?
    I drive a Dodge and have a BBC in my boat and really dont have any bias twards Chevy of Ford. I do agree diesel is the way to go. Personally, I would find a sweet used diesel pusher before I bought a brand new gas job.
    Be good, Jim

MACHINEHEAD
    So your goin to save 40 bucks in fuel (with the dsl.) on a 2000 dollar "week at the river"!! 8.1 in the ford chassis, get started.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast