Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marines

THATJEFFGUY
    I hijacked another thread with this...so outta respect, I'll start a new post.
    Just outta the blue, my 17 year old stepson wants to join the Marines and now some damn Marine recruiter has his filled his head full of BS. He wants to go into law enforcement and already has a foot in the door (a sheriff explorer for 2.5 years, now Sgt....plus my higher up LE connections), but this recruiter says joining the Marines will enable him to move up the ranks faster...I say BS ! What do you guys think ?

hugh jascock
    ask the recruiter if he knows why the navy has marines on board their ships. if he does'nt know tell him "because sheep are too obvious" (be ready to duck)
    navy= 3 hots and a cot
    if he wants to go somewhere in l.e. he needs a criminal justice or police science degree.

Havasu_Dreamin
    if he wants to go somewhere in l.e. he needs a criminal justice or police science degree.
    I would think that is the best route to a LE career.

Brady Bunch
    Military experience will not help him climb the ranks. The only thing that will set him apart from another recruit/officer and making more money is a college education. His degree does not necessarily have to be in law enforcement but it is helpful. My friend who is an officer w/ college degree makes more then his Seargent without a degree.
    Going into the military will help with paying for college.....

Flying Tiger
    I did 4 year in the Marines.
    What the recruiter doesn't tell you is even though they may send you to a technical school of some sort, you're still a buttplate on a rifle when you finish school.
    In other words you'll most likely be givin infantry type functions to do, and never do the job they taught you in school.
    One should only join the Marines if their heart is really in being a Marine.
    Eyes wide open, and a head knowing that life will be hell and ya can't just quit and go home in the afternoon. You're stuck, or ya go to a military prison.
    Not join for training, or just because they want to be in the military.
    Absolutely nothing worse than serving on a ship.You are nothing more than a "puke with a mop".
    Every sailor I ever met hated it, even those with technical jobs (M.O.S.) said serving on a ship was the main reason they got out.
    I served on the Okinawa, Iwo Jima, and Brice Canyon and it sucked.
    If he wants to get law enforcement type work the Join the Air Force security police (MP's).
    If he wants to go to sea, then go in the Coast Guard.
    Most occupations with the AF and CC allow him 3 hots and a cot mostly on a base.
    Every where the Army & Marines go there is a lot of lead in the air. Being on board a Navy ship sux.
    Officer morale in the Army and Marines is low,, and that's a bad time to be in.

slink
    Jeff, In years past (10-15yrs ago) it hepled, But only in the sense of if others applying hadn't been in the military or had a college degree. They look at it as postive "life experiences". As far as climbing the ranks.....B.S. I know for a fact that a four year degree will get you farther than any military. Every promotion panel I have ever sat on or tested against ALWAYS asked about your college education and never once was I asked "Were you in the military". In fact on promotion panels you get extra points for having college degrees, why do you think I'm back finishing my Bachelors after 14yrs in L.E. (only 4 more classes :wink: ) PM me if you have any more questions

slink
    Damn, Jeff getting all edumacted and shit
    Good for you Jeff. I think it even helps more if you get your degree while employeed. Shows that you are dedicated and want to move up.....
    Ya Tom, After all these years I finally fiqured out I'm no good at Kissin Arse so the only way I'm going anywhere is with a degree. Plus how am I supposed to push the kid into college if she see's her old man didn't have a degree.

LHC30Victory
    Have to agree with the other posts about a college degree being primary. He already has some experience with a SO dept in the Explorer program so that is a positive. One thing that the military is good for is the growing up that generally comes from it. The people that have been in the millitary are usually better equipped mentally and physically to handle the challenges of the academy and the job in general. Life experience comes into making the MANY judgement calls required daily and the military usually helps there.
    I would suggest the AF because they have a good LE program and it is most like the civilian side of any of the services.

Red Eye
    In most CA LE agencies you need to be 20 1/2 anyway. Why not support him into going in the military and by time he's out, he'll be old enough to join? Not only will it make him grow up a hell of a lot faster then college, but they offer college courses free of charge. Once he's out of boot camp and his tech school (mos school), and into the real Marine Corps, he can get into contact with his immediate supervisor and they can guide him to the right direction. I know when I was in and stationed at Camp Pendleton, I was offered courses right in my base camp. They courses were giving by the officer's in my unit and went towards college credit. Contrary to what other's think, ship life wasn't that bad. For one, there's more time for the classes and plus he won't regret the cool sh$t he'll see. Just my .02.

LAPII
    Entrance oral exam wise, the military experience will give him points here in LA, future wise if he follows up his Marine enlistment with MP duty it will definitely help him in his career as LE. Let's not forget most LE agencies are "quasi-military" in their structures and daily pratices. Now, my .02 if he is young enough it definitely would not hurt him if he pays close attention to what his specialities and assignments will be. Recruiters are just trying to turn numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast