Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with lifting boat off trailer, any ideas??

Da-Bull
    :idea: I have a Brendella runner-bottom that I need to take off the trailer to have some fab work done on the trailer. The boat still has the engine in it, am I going to have to pull the motor to lighten it up? I don't have anywhere to float it, the repairs to the trailer are going to take about 3 weeks. Any ideas? I would like to be able to lift it and drive the trailer out from underneath it. I am fairly new to the flat-bottom scene and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Terminal Velocity
    will it fit in your garage straight in? If so, you could try and slide it back off the trailer a few feet enough to get a jack and 4x4 under the transom to lift the tail off the trailer then put stands on both sides with 4x4's to support it. then move the jack under the trailer somwhere to jack up the nose enough to roll the trailer forward until you hit a crossmember, set another jackstand and move the jack, then repeat until the trailer is out. Reverse process to reinstall.
    Kind of a pain and make sure you have some help but it can be done. When you do the nose piece you would want to "v" the 4x4 to support the keel on both sides and to help keep the boat level.
    It's a thought.
    Take care and good luck.

The first time I needed to get the boat off the trailer. I built a dolly out of wood. Built the bunks the same height as the trailer & slid it off. I would recomend pulling the moter if possible. makes the whole deal a bunch easier.
    2ea. 10' 4x4's
    2ea. 12' 2x6's
    1ea. 1/2" sheet plywood.
    4ea. casters.
    Bunch o screws.
    I built a steel dolly for the current boat. Same deal just slide off & on. I can not tell you how much nicer it is to work on a flatt bottom without the fenders in the way.
    I have heard the method T.V. sugested works well. I was just to ascared.

Terminal Velocity
    believe me morg i was askeeeerrrrrd to. But if you don't get too excited it can be done. I have a steel dolly like yours but it was 500 miles away so time wise it was about sixes to do it with a jack.
    DA-Bull if you have time and the tools the dolly would be the best way. And if you have an engine hoist you could always use it too take most of the weight off the transom to slide it back onto the dolly.
    Either way should git'r done.
    James

Da-Bull
    Thanks Morg, T.V.
    Both ideas sound good. I have a couple of questions about building the dolly, would I use the 2x6's to frame the box and the 4x4's for the bunks or the opposite? Sorry for all the questions, but like I said, I'm a newbe to the boat scene. The jacks sound good and would probably work but I too am very askeeeerrrrrd :2purples: Would anyone be able to post a picture of a dolly? Thanks for the help
    Jeff

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have found a very easy way to remove a flatty from the trailer. I put a 4x4 in the back just ahead of the plate. I set a set of 20'' Dia. logs standing on end under the 4x4s. I then hook my engine lift to the bow eye. As you lift the front of the boat the weight transfers to the blocks in the back. With a little wiggleing you can walk the trailer out from under the boat.
    I like the big logs instead of a jack stand because if the bigger base. It won't tip over so easy...

Terminal Velocity
    Morg,
    Throw down some dimensions and i'll cad design an Isometric drawing of it, PDF the thing and send it to DA-Bull and yourself and then we'll have an actual drawing in case someone else wants to build one.
    I know the basic but the length's and width's apart escape my mind and again my dolly is 500 miles away.
    Da-Bull take a tape measure and go under the boat and measure to the outside of the inner strakes of your boat (if it has strakes, my b-boat does)...better yet get me a distance from center to center of your existing bunks on your trailer and what the measurement is from the floor to the top of the bunks (bottom of boat) with the trailer sitting level or hitched to your vehicle so it will be the right height.
    I should be able to have it done with these measurements early tomorrow morning.
    James

Da-Bull
    Thanks, James
    When I get off work I will take some measurments and post them tomorrow. Really appreciate the help!

Terminal Velocity
    That's a nice piece GoFast. Do you have anything hanging from underneath? I've got a drawing essentially done trying to convert it from PDF to post. Or i can email it to someone who is more in tune than i with PDF conversions...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast