Thread: Attaching trailer bunks

fire on the water
    When I put on my new bunks this weekend how should I do it. Countersunk carriage bolts from the top down or galvie screws from the bottom? It has galvie screws on the bottom now but has rotted out. Bunks like to follow the boat!Advice would be appreciated. Ty

Racing Ray
    The carriage bolts with a counterbore for the heads would be much stronger. The carpet can then be layed over the top. If your keeping it get rid of the galvinized crap and use stainless. On the bottom side I would use a stainless Nylox nut.
    [This message has been edited by Racing Ray (edited January 16, 2002).]

fire on the water
    Thanx Ra!!Whats is the best adhesive for the carpet?

1quickjet
    FOTW, the best way is to go with countersunk carriage bolts or something. I tried lag bolts from underneath and they will work themselves out after a while. For adhesive, I used Landau top glue (avialable at upholstery supply store) on the bunks of my trailer. It is waterproof. The same stuff Ross at Designer Marine Interiors recommended I use for the boat's carpet. Godd Luck!

1quickjet
    One more thing, Personally, I think stainless is a waste on money on trailer bunks. The bunks are only good for a few years anyway, the galvanized bolts will generally outlast the wood. Use stainless staples for the carpet though, if not they will corrode and carpet will come off.