Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: southwind 377

eliminatya
    how did you do this weekend, give us some info.
    sam

SOUTHWIND377
    Hey Sam,
    Well the boat pulled the best mph it has yet 89.4 but ran 12.3 ET. We couldn't get the boat to launch it would stand straight up at the line and jump twice. So we took some of the wedge out of the and we ran a 11.97 @ 84mph still wouldn't launch good. So then we de-wedged the boat and it launched great but only ran a 12.400 @ 80mph. So we have decided to put a hydraulic diveter with a stop on it to launch the boat with the diverter down and then go up with the nozzle as soon as it launches. This should get us out of the hole and let pull 90 on the top end. Hope it improves our ET it should, if this works then we are going to go 10%over on the blower and really speed the boat up. We just want to get the bugs worked out first and then step it up. I had some decent reaction times for my first time in the boat I cut a .215 light in eliminations which isn't bad for only being my 7th pass in the boat. Our next race is June 30 we should have it hooking up by then. Dustin

HYDROMOBILE
    Dustin did you see my boat in ***boat may issue, I have fiberglass buckets, reg size and large size both Jim

eliminatya
    dustin'
    i know exactly what your talking about, whenever i had the nozzle positive the boat always wanted to stand up and blow a hole, your diverter idea should work. the boat worked the best for me with a manual diverter, i would shove the nozzle all the way down and the boat would plane better and launch harder, then throw the nozzle all the way up and it would fly. i wonder if a cavitation reducer would help. good luck keep me posted.

SWIND-DRAGSTER
    HEY DUSTIN.I bought my southwind back in augest with a blown up motor got it home and took it apart. hoping for minor damage! it had holes in two pistons and the rest is history.so i got pissed off and decided the heck with it ill just take my time and build a true 100 mph jet boat.plans for the boat are. bbc 496 tall deck, eagle rotating asembely,littlefield 871 blower with a roy miersch intake manifold, were tring to get a set of the new air flow research cnc335 heads but if that doesent work out ill go with the dart pro 1 heads.i just posted a pic of the boat in the readers rides under jet boats.anyway this is my first post,I hope we can have some fun with this.I have been doing a lot of research on these hulls and talked with a lot of the guy,s that drag raced these boats in the late 70s earley 80s and learned alot about the hull.you can email me any time.

ratso
    Dustin...Good meeting you at the drags...Would have stayed and visited but I was helping out a couple of my outboard buds. Ratso

SOUTHWIND377
    I was good meeting all of you guys up their we had a blast even though the boat was not doing what we wanted it to we still had fun. Swind Dragster were are you located at I have been trying to dig and find as much about the boats as I can we have made some drastic improvements since our first run. The true test is when we get the hydraulic diverter with a stop, this should let the boat launch hard and fly on the top end.

disco_charger
    South,
    What kind of grate/shoe/impellor are you running? Thought of a droop? I know you took the wedge out, but this doesn't seem right. I think a little work on the bottom end might do you a lot of good.
    Disco

SOUTHWIND377
    Disco Charger,
    We a playing with that to it has a pro-loader in it and we a playing with the shoe, I have various shoe shims we are trying. We are just trying to get the boat dialed in, it takes a long time when you don't have acess to a race track. Our next race isn't until June 30 so it will be two months before we can get some more time slips. Sure we try it at the lake with a GPS but the real test is time slips. We found that out last weekend. Oh when I mean I took the wedge out that is just taking a degree or two out of it at a time, I have enough wedges to make any combination from 1-13. The impellar is a A stainless at we turn it 6100 12lbs. of boost thats 5%over driven.
    [This message has been edited by SOUTHWIND377 (edited May 01, 2002).]

eliminatya
    dustin isn't it funny how everyone with a 60-70mph boat has all the right advice for you, i think you should set the stop where the nozzle is 6 to 7 deggrees up and work your way up, your gonna have to fly that thing to make mph. it worked best for be when i had the diverter all the way up and im sure that was probably at least 10 degrees up. what has jim had to say? your on the right track racing is the only way to dial it in.
    ps.
    boost it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast