Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Methanol?

taylormanss
    A buddy of mine Said he was gonna run methanol in his boat as a fuel additive,but I told him I thought THey used ethanol.I don't use this because my boat runs good on93 octane.Can you guys help me and tell me whixh one of these to use.
    taylormanss..............................

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    ethyl alcohol will give you quite a buzz (get you drunk). It can be burned in internal combustion engines but not as effectively as methanol which can kill you if you drink it. ethyl alcohol is usually distilled from organic matter whereas methanol is made in a lab.
    Short answer is.....your friend is right methanol is the fuel they use in racing. ethyl alcohol is what is consumed after a winning weekend....but never the night before a race
    Omega

taylormanss
    Thanks for the info omega I'll let him know.
    taylormanss......................

your tuneup is much different with methanol and it doesn't mix with gas.

Sanger Jet
    Check your local area for fuel dealers they will sell you race fuel in 55$$$Gallon drums. then mix 50/50 with pump gas. Works Awsome!!!

taylormanss
    So your saying you can't mix it?methenol and gas?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Alot of guys with forced injection will use methanol injection to help cool the charge down but I have never heard of anyone mixing methanol with gasoline. I am not sure they would actually mix. If your buddy is running a supercharged or turbocharged engine then methanol injection will help him out. If he is doing this in an effort to raise the octane rating to compensate for high compression there are leaded and unleaded race fuels out there that will work much better.
    Omega

Jet Hydro
    methanol will not mix with gasoline

AV gas is what I mix 50-50 with 87 octane regular. works fine in my 12:1 or 13:1 motors. sometimes I cut it a little more. 7 galons of regular to 5 of AV. no problems. been doing it for years.

taylormanss
    OK the av gas that they have at the local airport here is 100 low lead will this work?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast