Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Open Cockpit Helmet Restraint System

Terminal Velocity
    This is a plug i've been working on for open cockpit Helmet Restraint. Yes it looks like another device but it has been revised and many angles of the original have been changed to accomodate wearing our life vests instead of using seatbelts. There are a couple more changes to some angles we are currently working on for driver comfort but you can see how it fits with your jacket and helmet on.
    What you don't see are the tethers from the headrest to the rear side area of the helmet, as well there will be tethers from the front shoulder legs up the front to the chin of the helmet and one more that will go from the shoulder legs around your back to help tie it to you.
    THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE MARKETED!!! I am not trying to make money with this, this is something i have decided to try and build for friends and their friends who drive open cockpit boats to try and keep the helmet on. I will be using one with my Super Stock which i believe APBA with their new mandate will allow me to use without using the padded donut collar.
    We are open to suggestions and ideas from you guys so let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...CT0045-med.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...CT0046-med.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...CT0048-med.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...CT0050-med.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...CT0051-med.JPG

126driver
    For starters, I recommend trying to find a better-looking model. :rollside:

wsuwrhr
    For starters, I recommend trying to find a better-looking model. :rollside:
    Breasts would be nice. :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    Brian

James,
    Other than the suggestions listed by the peanut gallery. I was wondering what your thoughts were to the back acting like a scoop if you go in backwards?
    Also I have been going back & forth on what type of restraint I am going to use. I am getting stuck on being able to move my head for side & back vision for running at the lake. For this i was thinking a doughnut type neck brace, but I just don't think they offer enough support.
    Until this thread I was thinking my only other option was the dragrace style. But I am concerned about being able to twist & look before going into a turn @ the lake.
    With the restraints on yours, is it set up for being able to rotate your head?
    Thanks
    Morg

Terminal Velocity
    126...My model...you only wish you had that much. Now go find your taco on your helmet.
    wsuwrhr...breasts? That's what i married my wife for, CABO YABO'S!!!!
    Morg...I have thought about the back acting like a scoop but i "THINK" and talking with my hydrolic engineers at my work with the tethers it shouldn't be a problem, going in that way should release the water around your neck and shoulders. What this is more intended to accomplish is to provide support to your neck in keeping the helmet with you and not "bucketing" the helmet and ripping it off. The main problem is that the chin strap holds the helmet to you until the hydraulic pressure overrides the strap strength, unfortunatly by the time the strap lets go the helmet has bent your neck to far (that is my theory and reasoning). As for being able to look around to see what is going on before entering a turn this is a MAJOR thing that i am working on being that i plan on using this in the SSRA. There is a "bar" that you can bet through simpson that i am going to purchase and look at that would mount say on both sides of your mouth area, it looks like a elongated "U" say 3 inches plus or minus wide, if you were to clip to that from the shoulder legs it would allow the clip to "slide" from side to side as you turned your head. What i've found driving my boat with the "donut" is that i still can only turn so far, after that i actually turn my shoulders to see any farther being that this Helmet Restraint System becomes "part" of you as you turn your shoulders the tethers turn too. This is obviously is a work in progress and there may be alterations but my intention is to make it the best i possibly can for visibility and i will be the guinea (sp?) pig. I've witnessed TOO MANY of my friends being killed because of the helmet coming off and looking at everything i really feel this is a great way to go, the original initial design has done wonders for neck safety, i'm just trying to adapt that to our form of racing and fun.
    Sorry for the long post if anyone wants you can call me to discuss things at
    702-266-7322(cell).
    James

Terminal Velocity
    I should mention a couple of things, one of the reasons i am doing this is that the original design of the restraint device with the current style of life jackets "to me" pushes your helmet and head way forward. So i've tried to compensate by changing the angles of the head rest and shoulder legs to work with everyone's existing jackets. Lifeline and/or Security might be able to redesign their jackets in the neck collar area to accomodate this style of restraint but i have not been in contact with them at this time.
    Also i did make a call to the original "design" manufacturer and attempted to talk with them about the possibility of making one for open type applications without belts and was told (in so many words) that it wouldn't be in their interest to come up with a new design to work for us...so i decided to try and do it.
    The restraint device will be made of Kevlar and Carbon Fiber using vaccum bagging and Hysol (loctite brand) epoxy resins to give as much strength and protection as we think can be. As of now i have no idea what the actual material costs will be because i am still working on the plug to build the actual mold from. As soon as i build the first one (mine) i will know what it will take.
    James

wsuwrhr
    That's what i married my wife for, CABO YABO'S!!!!
    James
    pray she deosn't read that.....haha
    Either way, with that excuse, why are YOU modeling your part?
    Brian
    (I'm confused)

Sked
    What a bunch of crap. It's a shame that boat (and auto) racing has been taken over by the safety freaks.

WaterBox
    YO. Jimmy ["It probably wouldn't be in there interest to come up with a new Design for the open boat's"] Because of the LIABILITY factor they would be looking at! Be carefull Budd! :crossx:

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast