Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: making plates a little longer?

Sanger D
    I,m gonna redo my cav. plates after this year and was wondering if I can make them a little longer. will this help to maybe settle the boat down more or is it a waste of $$ and time.

GofastRacer
    Changing the lenght of the plates is a cheap way to move the strut back or forward, what is your boat doing that you don't like about it???

Sanger D
    It does the typical high speed porpuse like old flats like to do,I,ve got alot of it under control but I don,t want to run the boat too wet,if I loosen her up it gets pretty intresting!!! just thought if I added a inch or two to the plates it would help in stableing the boat some!!!and would be cheaper than changing strut angles and redrilling the foor,prop shaft,you know,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...that I don,t really have!! :wink:

dmontzsta
    I am glad you posted this. I was thinking about doing this a while back, interesting to see what people say about this.

Sanger D
    so far I guess ..NOTHIN!!!I was kinda hoping to get some input on the subject,but maybeits the old tired subject of ..."aporpuseing flatty,how to stop it " question.Ive got the thing some what dialed but I would like to add a little pony power to it and maybe get it to handle just a little better!!!plus their the stock 69 plates,time to put new material on the boat!!!!

GofastRacer
    It does the typical high speed porpuse like old flats like to do,I,ve got alot of it under control but I don,t want to run the boat too wet,if I loosen her up it gets pretty intresting!!! just thought if I added a inch or two to the plates it would help in stableing the boat some!!!and would be cheaper than changing strut angles and redrilling the foor,prop shaft,you know,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...that I don,t really have!! :wink:
    If you put longer plates all you're going to do is make the nose come up which will make it worse!.. Your problem is the power, gear and prop combo is off, very typical. You don't have the power to keep the boat on a set so, your options are to up the power, lower the gear, use a smaller prop, personally I'd up the power!..

infotraker
    My brother added about 3 " to his cav plate on his 59 Raysoncraft. He was not getting enought up and down movement becauss the plate was to narrow out back. It did help a lot on that boat. He had it welded and then ground.

Sanger D
    If you put longer plates all you're going to do is make the nose come up which will make it worse!.. Your problem is the power, gear and prop combo is off, very typical. You don't have the power to keep the boat on a set so, your options are to up the power, lower the gear, use a smaller prop, personally I'd up the power!.. I,ve got 18,s now and have a set of 15,s waiting,the prop is a 11 1\4 x 14 menkens,the poneys are comin later,maybe just put the 15,s in it and spend the $$ on motor instead of plate work,or just put new mat. and leave the plate widht the same??? thanks in advance ART

BIGCHRIS
    Sanger D, just curious how high are u running your plates

GofastRacer
    I,ve got 18,s now and have a set of 15,s waiting,the prop is a 11 1\4 x 14 menkens,the poneys are comin later,maybe just put the 15,s in it and spend the $$ on motor instead of plate work,or just put new mat. and leave the plate widht the same??? thanks in advance ART
    The 15's will help some, your rpm's will only go up about 300, you might try some 12's if you can find some!.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast