Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Identity Theft...not a joke a must read!

Tremor Therapy
    To everyone,
    I had heard of identity theft on the news, but I have lived my life without too much thought about it. On March 9th, I became an official member of this club. My checking account, my savings account, my overdraft protection, and my home equity lines were all tied together, and someone in China was able to access and empty all of my accounts within minutes.
    So here I sit, no money in any of my accounts, my mortgage payment and other outstanding checks bouncing like a rubber ball, penniless, while some f#$%@&% scum bag is out there spending my hard earned dollars.
    I have had to contact the FTC to report fraudulent activity using my identity and apply for a new social security card. I have had to cancel my bank accounts, and then go and contact all of those companies that automatically deduct payments from my accounts. I have had to cancel all of my credit cards. This effort includes contacting all three credit bureau's to place a credit alert on my name. I have also contacted the DMV to have my license suspended, and I will have to apply for a new one, so even if I had money in the bank, I have no way or identification that is valid so that I could get it!
    Now there are remedies to some of these issues, but in the end, I may never see most of the ten's of thousands of dollars that have been fraudulently taken from my accounts. My bank cannot tell how they got my info, and they have told me I may never really know how they did get it. I will tell you one thing....I'll never have all of my accounts in one bank, and I will never have them tied to one another, nor will I ever use the internet to buy anything again.
    Paranoid....maybe, but let this happen to you, and then you tell me how you feel. Am I pissed.....beyond any of your wildest dreams!
    Tremor Therapy

Mrs. Bordsmnj
    Oh man, that totally sucks ass!!! I hope you get your money back.

redneckgirl
    Wow TT....Thank s*cks big time!!!! I wish there was something I could do to help you out!!!
    RNG

hoolign
    Holy shit dude..do you have any recourse on the bastard that did this..I mean is there a chance of catching them? the money had to go into an account!, there has gotr to be an Ip addy .. what has the bank suggested.. after all it was their bank that got attacked...just unfortunate it was your money!..I 'm not big on internet purchases. hell I'm not big on anything I cant hand over cash for!
    soory to here this and good luck!
    Jeff.

Floored
    that is scarey, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. Worst I had was order a new card and bank put hold (by accident) on all accounts at same time and I couldnt buy gas eat or pay bills until straightened out. not easy. Good Luck Worst is nobody will pay back for you actual losses either. new lic. ss card, credit repair etc.

slink
    Just out of curiosity, how did you tie it back to China?

Bre
    Shit that sucks
    I wonder if by changing your checking account on a regular basis is a good idea or not.

RiverOtter
    Are the bank accounts not insured for the monitary loss? I would have thought so.

Mr.Havasu
    Very Scary! Really makes you think how safe is your money in a bank. Might have to go back to stuffing it under my mattress..Oh wait, I don't have any.
    Really sorry to hear this.

Tremor Therapy
    Any time one of your accounts is accessed, part of the transaction number deals with the location of the transaction. I sat down with one of the banking supervisors, and as she looked at the transactions and traced them, she found the point of origin to be Shanghai China. Unfortunately she has dealt with just this situation for other clients, and she told me that they may never know who it was that stole my identity, nor may they ever be able to find out how they got it.
    She told me about people who drive through neighborhoods with equipment that can trace your wireless networking signals, and if you have not enabled the security features they can log onto your account.
    That people have developed equipment that fits over the facia of your local ATM machine, and it does not inhibit your use of your ATM card, but that it reads your number, and collects your pin number. That way at a later date they can access yours, and many other peoples accounts by duplicating you ATM card and using YOUR pin number!
    They also have spam type software that pops up while you are surfing the web, and trys to drill into your system to find your account info if you have ever bought anything on the net.
    I don't know about all of this, all I know is since it has happened to me, I'll never automate any of my info again!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast