Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Identity Theft...not a joke a must read!

Sherpa
    just out of curiousity, have you had any accounts using an "auto-pay" system?
    do you complete any online transactions using CC or bank# info?
    have you recently applied or updated any banking/mortgage/CC info?
    And lastly, I thought all the banks were FDIC insured for up to 100k per
    account-? are you actually out these monies??
    --Sherpa hope you get through all this without further issues.

Tremor Therapy
    Okay, after 48 hours, the bank has some additional info, and I have closed, cancelled and suspended everything I know of. My accounts were accessed at the Bank of China in Shanghai China, and they were able to access all of my B of A accounts that are linked, and they drained them all.
    What I have found is that because they are listing this as an apparent case of fraud (ya think?), my checking and savings accounts have been temporarily credited with the funds that were taken (whew!), but I only have limited access to them at this time.
    The over-draft protection and home equity lines have been cancelled (to prevent further fraud), and I have been told that the same fraud protection laws will govern them. I haven't found out if I should file a report with the police yet, but I am awaiting a call from the lead fraud investigator at the bank.
    Now the rub in all of this is that all of my information is still tied to these accounts, and I need to close them and open new acounts.....but when you don't have access to your money, it makes it kind of difficult. All in all I am now of the feeling that everything will eventually be taken care of, and although I may be out a few bucks to cover adminstrative fee's and the like, I should be able to recover most of the funds.
    And to answer a number of questions:
    Yes I did have outside entities automatically debitting my account
    Yes I did pay bills on-line, on the individual account websites
    Yes I did use the web for a recent home re-fi, but that was back in August

bigq
    Do they have no idea how they got access to the account? Did you use the same PIN for all the acconts?
    One thing I have received a lot of lately is extreamly official looking e-mail that ask to take care of an account issue immediatly and log on to your account at whatever bank and respond to the e-mail. I went to one of these sites from a protected computer and it looks identical to my banks website. It is 1st rate spoofing and you enter your username and PIN/pass and they can access everthing. Usually all accounts are linked to one to view on the website.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234