Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cab Over Campers

Red Eye
    Has anyone ever bought a cab over camper and used it on a half ton short bed truck? If so, what size, problems, modifications did you have? Thinking about getting a Lance cab over now, but I may have to wait until I get a heavy duty truck depending on feedback. Thanks.

Mandelon
    There are a couple of forums that are out there that have answered this quite well. Bottom line is... don't put an overcab on a half ton. They can't handle the weight. The brakes are undersized and the suspension just can't take it.
    try www.irv2.net

Mandelon
    There are a couple of forums that are out there that have answered this quite well. Bottom line is... don't put an overcab on a half ton. They can't handle the weight. The brakes are undersized and the suspension just can't take it.
    I upsized from a F250 to a Chevy 3500 cuz even the 250 was overweight with my 9'5" OC on it, and then towing.......even with airbags it was a handful.
    try www.irv2.net

MudPumper
    I wouldn't get one. Really small inside. Don't hold much water, can be a pain to load on the truck. I'd opt for a fifth wheel, they are easy to load and unload, drive really stable and have a ton of room inside. Just something to think about.

Flying Tiger
    It's an asskicker. You'll feel like the camper is hauling the truck, not vice versa.

Mandelon
    I wouldn't get one. Really small inside. Don't hold much water, can be a pain to load on the truck. I'd opt for a fifth wheel, they are easy to load and unload, drive really stable and have a ton of room inside. Just something to think about.
    But kinda hard to tow a boat with a TT or 5er on the back.... :supp: OC's are small, but I can get up dirt roads where no trailer would dare go. In order to tow the boat, we do sacrifice some size. Its mostly for sleeping anyway.

Red Eye
    It's an asskicker. You'll feel like the camper is hauling the truck, not vice versa.
    Do you mean w/ a 1/2 ton or in general?

Dawn Patrol
    Check out the link. It is one of the better sites for RV Forums (http://www.rv.net/forum)
    Good Luck.

MudPumper
    But kinda hard to tow a boat with a TT or 5er on the back.... :supp: OC's are small, but I can get up dirt roads where no trailer would dare go. In order to tow the boat, we do sacrifice some size. Its mostly for sleeping anyway.
    I hear ya Mandy. My rig is as big as they come, it has a slide out and I'm still cramped in there. The next rig will definitely be a 5th wheel and I'll wory about towing the boat some other way, probably just do doubles. Then I can drop the trailer and still have the truck to launch and get fuel etc....I go to glamis in the winter and that's where I need the room and bigger holding capacity.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...FC_Rig-med.JPG

bohica
    For the price of a new Lance camper, you could get a really nice toyhauler. Made the mistake myself a few years back.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast