Thread: Question for Mr. Straub

Foggerjet
    Chris, Your insight and knowledge is invaluable to ham fisted knuckleheads like myself, and I've got a dilemma of sorts regarding camshafts. Now, this is not for a boat but the data could carry over I s'pose. I have about finished my winter car project. It's a '90 Mustang w/ a 12:1 .060 460. The heads are heavily modified Dove-c's Intake is an Offy open, carb is a 950 HP. Trans is a GM powerglide w/brake, 5200 stall, rear is a 9" with 4.11 gears on a spool. Car weighs 3200# (full interior 12 pt cage). Now I put in a Comp mechanical flat at 264/264 @.050 and .640/.640 on a 108 center. It runs real good! Now, we are going to add a dose of nitrous, a 400 big shot. I believe the cam has too much overlap to injest that must sauce. It will bleed off too much cylinder pressure and use maybe 150-200 hp, the rest will just exit the exhaust. I have gotten several different cam recommendations from different companies on a solid roller. The most recent was from comp, 275/284 @.050 and .727/.763 on a 113. I want to find a happy medium between off and on the gas (have cake and eat it) will the big nitrous cam act a bit lazy(off gas), as compared to the smaller 108 cam? I'm sorry for babbling and I appreciate input from everyone. I have more info on the motor and stuff if needed, there is a pile 'o' money in this thing and I want to do it right. If you have expierience with a combo like this, what cam profiles worked for you? Thanks again,
    fog

I differ from most on NOS cams. I believe you are at best when you can make the engine run its best NA then add your shot. Fogger I can't help you unless you have the flow numbers. The correct camshaft is then black and white and we can get you what you need.
    I've cammed a ton of Fords. In fact my first camshaft I did for a customer was a 500 INCHER that went in the old shoe box PRO MOD Car "Vickie".
    Need those flow numbers.
    Chris

Foggerjet
    Thanks Chris, The guy who did the heads probly has the data on the flow. I'll round it up and get back to you, as for now the thing runs great, no complaints. Plan to make some easy shakedown passes this weekend, NA of course.
    thanks
    fog

Your welcome.
    Chris

DEL51
    Do you have any memory of Rob Vandergrif and the Thundercraft 57 chev? What a cool name, I heard they were a boat company that made the fiberglass body. I remember his ride running in Warner Robbins Georgia. It was the era of "top sportsman" and he was one of the fastest, running a "small 598 with 2 dom's and N20.Thundercraft was from Tenn, I was told. Any input would be appreciated. I raced my stock Camero and a friends Maverick in those days. I met Rob. Also, more details about Viky.

Yes I remember the car. Vicky I am pretty sure was a Bickell "Shoebox" during that era of the "Shoebox" cars. They were cool. I never met Rob but asking Jake at the shop he was/is a customer of ours.
    Chris