Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine temp too cold!!!

psdperformance
    I just took my freshly rebuilt 455 old motor for a test run on sunday and could not get the water engine temp up above 100 degrees. What do i need to control water/engine temp so i can get my engine to run at optimum engine temp even in a cold lake??
    Thanks chris

460 jus getn it
    I just took my freshly rebuilt 455 old motor for a test run on sunday and could not get the water engine temp up above 100 degrees. What do i need to control water/engine temp so i can get my engine to run at optimum engine temp even in a cold lake??
    Thanks chris
    what was the water temp like where u were at? i was out at one of our lakes here in az and my temp stayed at 105 all day long.

psdperformance
    the water temp was very cold i do not know what it was but my engine temp
    never got above 100-110 ules i was idling it got a little warmer. i was just wondering if ther is any way to restrict the water flow to the motor to warm the engine to say 160-180 degrees and keep it there all day.

napabob
    never got above 100-110 ules i was idling it got a little warmer. i was just wondering if ther is any way to restrict the water flow to the motor to warm the engine to say 160-180 degrees and keep it there all day.
    I have this very simple system, standard on my jet boat, that controls the water intake into my engine. If the lake water is cold, like this past Sunday at Lake Berrryessa, I just turn the valve down until I start getting readings of 150 running at 4K and 165-70 at idle.
    http://www.harmanmarine.com/newsite/Library/pp/12.pdf
    I have TT exhaust and I do not know if it will work on your boat.

Sanger Jet
    Install a Ball Valve between the pump and the engine. Available at local hardware store.

460 jus getn it
    Install a Ball Valve between the pump and the engine. Available at local hardware store.
    thats what i have also just a plain old ball valve. at idle my temp rose up a little but at 3000rpm i was at 100-110. id say you are ok your temp will rise as the outside temp gets warmer.

redi4fun
    Rex marine has just what you need. Better than trying to use any type of valve to control the water temperature. Look here:
    http://www.rexmar.com/page160.html
    I have one on my jet boat and it works great.

Shark In The Pond
    Rex marine has just what you need. Better than trying to use any type of valve to control the water temperature. Look here:
    http://www.rexmar.com/page160.html
    I have one on my jet boat and it works great.
    I just installed one last week on my Jet and I like it !

Hallett19
    I just got a plastic valve from Home Depot and put it in my feed line from the pump and I just close it off a bit and it runs fairly consistently. At idle it will get to about 190 and at wot it stays around 160-170. I usually just leave it wide open so it runs cooler so my oil doesnt get too hot.

sanger rat
    Hallett19 I would not run anything made of plastic on your water lines. Hate to see a boat sink becuse of a 2 dollar part. Get something made of brass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast