Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Outboards, have a ?.

Aqua Boogie1
    Hey fellow blender drivers, I have a question for you guys. I just sold my Jet and got a cherry 18'6 73 kona outboard, original 150 merc. The only problem with this boat that the motor goes but not backards. When I try to go back, all you hear is the gear missing. Now my ? is, what is that, how hard to replace myself or what does it usually cost to replace?
    Thanx Doug

Wakker
    Before you tear into it and replace anything, make sure the shift cable is adjusted right. This may not be your problem, but its worth a shot...

Aqua Boogie1
    Will do that..................also when I put in gear to go forward, I go just over have way on the handle before I get anything from the motor, so could that also be a loose cable?

Wakker
    Will do that..................also when I put in gear to go forward, I go just over have way on the handle before I get anything from the motor, so could that also be a loose cable?Possibly. You should be able to feel a pretty "positive" spot for forward, neutral, reverse...

Aqua Boogie1
    Possibly. You should be able to feel a pretty "positive" spot for forward, neutral, reverse...
    Thanx...................I'll check it all.

STV_Keith
    Yep, sounds like a mis-adjusted cable. If it goes into FWD, just forward of Neutral, then you adjustment won't allow you to get to REV.

Aqua Boogie1
    Yep, sounds like a mis-adjusted cable. If it goes into FWD, just forward of Neutral, then you adjustment won't allow you to get to REV.
    Ok..................Let me explain a little better. Starts fine, idles good. Now when I push the handle fwd, ( say from 0 degrees neutral to 90 degress fwd is all the way down). When I push fwd, I get no response until Im about 60-70 degress fwd. Now I would think the cable needs to be adjusted but when I go from neutral into rev, engine revs very little and you can hear the gear grinding or as if its just bearly touching the gear. But defintly hear the gears hitting each other. I hope that better...................Sorry guys, new to outboards.
    Doug

Clown Midgets
    Drain the lower unit. Look at the lower plug, there should be a magnet at the end of the plug. If the gears are junk there will be metal all over it and in the oil, a little very fine metal/dust is ok. If there is no metal I would say the linkage out of wack is a good bet. If there ios metal :cry:

Aqua Boogie1
    Drain the lower unit. Look at the lower plug, there should be a magnet at the end of the plug. If the gears are junk there will be metal all over it and in the oil, a little very fine metal/dust is ok. If there is no metal I would say the linkage out of wack is a good bet. If there ios metal :cry:
    Great, I'll try that.............Thanxs!!!

Tom Brown
    It can also be a missing top bushing where the shift shaft goes through the engine pan. If that bushing is missing like it is on mine, the top of the shift shaft will have quite a bit of play and that will soak up your shifter travel, instead of putting it into reverse.
    I know a couple of engines that have this problem, including mine. I haven't bothered fixing it. I just use forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast