Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun for my wife.....questions

PHX ATC
    I've been threatening to do this for years and am finally going to accomplish my task since we're moving further out of town with no neighbors (for awhile anyway) within 1000 feet or so on one side and nothing but farmland on the other for miles.
    I want to get a handgun that my wife will be able to handle. That is the foremost concern. She's not exactly tall, maybe 5'4", so something that her smaller hands (no Seinfeld man hands here :wink: ) would be able to comfortably handle while popping off a few rounds.
    This would obviously be used for home protection and not really have a need to carry it with her, although on long trips it would come along. We do have an 8 year old daughter who has been well versed so far in guns and safety along with them...although it's shotguns and rifles, not handguns.
    So, any models, manufacturers, types, calibers, etc of handguns that the ladies might have or the guys might recommend?
    Any tips (no offense will be taken) on the continuing education of my 8 year old daughter on handguns?
    Thanks.
    Toby

Flying Tiger
    Slim automatics are great if kids will be around.
    It's hard for kids to shift them into gear and discharge compaired to revolvers.
    Consider a 7 shot slim 9mm auto.
    Not a lot of kick, compact, slim handle, light ,, nice.

Jordy
    Not to disagree with TPC/aka FT, but the best thing you can do for a woman is a revolver, aside from a pump action 12 gauge. The tendency for a ladie to limp wrist an auto are very high, especially at a time of need. Lady Smith made some really nice .357/.38 revolvers, I believe even hammerless too that you just point and pull the trigger. Even if the round misfires, they're double action, so you just pull the trigger again and hit on a fresh cylinder. That was one of the things that was talked about over and over in the ccw class I took years ago, not to mention at pretty much every gun shop I've ever been in when a guy was looking for something for his wife.
    As far as the daughter part, getting her involved and taking the mystery out of it is the best thing you can do. If you try and make it a secret, they want to know about it even more. Take her out and let her shoot it. Tell her all about it and make no qualms about the seriousness of it.
    Just my $.02

all charged up
    Colt makes a beautiful .380 Mustang. Little semi looks like a baby .45.

Kilrtoy
    Shit this is easy, You live in AZ get what my wife wants and cant have here in cali.
    SEMI -AUTO BENELLI Shotgun.....
    This is simple and bad ass, and takes little to no aim for beginners....
    Otherwise a 9mm beretta cougar reliable, has an external safety and low kick

cdog
    Go with a 380 beretta. Great gun, user friendly and the wife won't be too intimitaded by it. They have a 88% kill rate with one round. Good enough!

78Anthonyjet
    My wife is about 5'2", 1something, and likes my S&W 4006, 40 cal. It's got some kick, put you on your a$$ if you get hit by it, sub sonic round so you stay shot. Fits her hand nicely ( she has small hands ). She has a Rossi 5 shot .38, loaded with hallow points, she likes it a lot. SIG makes a semi auto
    .357 that is nice. Best thing to do is take her to a gun store and have her find a gun that feels good to her. I agree with KILRTOY that the shotgun is great, but might knock her on her backide. Just my opinion, good luck.
    Norm

77charger
    going to have to say a revolver in .357 mag.4 inch barrel
    reasons
    .357 is one of the highest one shot kill ratios
    small handle good for small hands too
    can use .38 special for training and fun shooting
    no real jams to worry about no fire pull trigger again
    easy to use
    and in the right hands just as deadly as an auto(experience wins not the bling factor of a gun)
    Many will say auto is the way to go but if you are not that experienced in firearms you might lack the proper cleaning skills need for an auto,what to do if you are in a panic mode and it jams,etc ever hear oil the slide or die??
    I myself shoot an auto colt commander in .45acp been shooting it for years

EXTREMEBOATS
    I am 5'6" 120lbs. My favorite gun to carry is a Taurus .22 9 shot pistol revolver ultralight short nose. It's light, easy to conceal and with a little practice very accurate. With nine shots if you can't kill 'em you can out run 'em! Kristina

MudPumper
    Not to disagree with TPC/aka FT, but the best thing you can do for a woman is a revolver, aside from a pump action 12 gauge. The tendency for a ladie to limp wrist an auto are very high, especially at a time of need. Lady Smith made some really nice .357/.38 revolvers, I believe even hammerless too that you just point and pull the trigger. Even if the round misfires, they're double action, so you just pull the trigger again and hit on a fresh cylinder. That was one of the things that was talked about over and over in the ccw class I took years ago, not to mention at pretty much every gun shop I've ever been in when a guy was looking for something for his wife.
    Just my $.02
    What Jordy said. A revolver is the best 1st gun for a woman for the reasons stated above. Don't have to worry about magazines, working the slide, limp wristing etc...... Just point and shoot. After she becomes proficient with the revolver, then you can think about moving up to a semi or something else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast