Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circle boats vs Runner bottoms

Carnivalride
    Ok this thread is for you guys or gals that have been lucky enough to have had experience with both Circle boats and Runner bottoms.
    I think I understand the basics but maybe not.
    If we take a well set up runner like a TR-2 or a Canyon and a well set up Revenge or Beizer (sp) with similar weight hulls and the same engine say 650hp what kind of differences are expected?
    I expect the runner to be quicker and faster, but how much?
    I expect the circle to turn much better.
    I hear circle boats ride better, how much better?
    Thanks,
    Loren

BILLY.B
    Ok this thread is for you guys or gals that have been lucky enough to have had experience with both Circle boats and Runner bottoms.
    I think I understand the basics but maybe not.
    If we take a well set up runner like a TR-2 or a Canyon and a well set up Revenge or Beizer (sp) with similar weight hulls and the same engine say 650hp what kind of differences are expected?
    I expect the runner to be quicker and faster, but how much?
    I expect the circle to turn much better.
    I hear circle boats ride better, how much better?
    Thanks,
    Loren Kind of a tough question Loren. I wouldn't even know what a Biesemeyer would run as far as an et at the drags but I would think the mile an hour would be somewhere between 10 to 15 mph slower then a drag boat. A good SS boat has around 605 to 620 hp and the mile an hour will be somewhere around 112 to 115 mph. Some might be faster but very few. Lance Faulkner has the kilo record at 121 and change but that is for 5/8's of a mile. As far as turning goes there is no comparison. A circle boat is a go-cart for the water and a drag boat would be like turning on ice. I gave Rod Corning ( ex BAF flat driver) a ride in my boat and as we were approaching some rollers at a pretty good rate of speed it was pretty funny to watch him grab for anything he could only to be surprised when I didn't lift and we went right over them. He later said he couldn't believe it would ( circle boat) go thru that stuff without getting crazy. Ask jet boat guru what he thinks. People used to think I was full of crap when i'd go to these v-drive outtings and i'd tell them that they handle like a go-cart until they'd take a ride in it. They're a kick in the ass....But they will bite you when you start feeling to COCKY!!!. In my opinion a circle boat is the best all around hull for river racing or just plan having fun. Drag boats are also alot of fun and diffinetly faster, just not in choppy water.

Word up, Homey. Ca'mon

fastvdriver
    Just my 2 cents I ran a 425# 78 biesemeyer for a lake boat and drag boat had a lot of fun I could run the 1/4 mile in 9.80 @ 102 with 18 gears and a 11 1/4 X 15.5 prop. the boat was set up right per Ray Brown for the plate's and motor placement. I took the motor out placed it in a 900# TR 2 and ran 10.90 @ 103. The weight I think was the reason for the et and the runner was the speed. I did all of this so i would feel better about the new alky motor not tearing up the light SS boat. The cole was also a very good set up. The circle boat was alot more work to drive, the cole is like driving a limo. just set and go. SS boat did handle the rough water better for the lake but really I never would punish it in the rough stuff so I said why not go faster!!

GofastRacer
    Well I ran my D'Cucci in brackets, about 500hp 427, 11 1/2x15 prop, 18 gears, best I got was 106, 9.96 in the 1/4, and that was on crappy smoothe water!.

Sangerboy
    My experience is limited but I do have a comparison that might interest you. I ran the same BBC (461 ci, about 680 hp) in both eraser's Daytona and my Canyon. Acceleration shouldn't be compared because the Canyon is much lighter and runs less gear (12's vs 18's, not to mention the 2-speed ) The Canyon was 10 to 15 mph faster at top speed and easier to drive. I don't think it was enough power for the Daytona with the setup we were running, it wouldn't carry the nose, it would fall off and bow steer a bit at top speed. The Daytona is much more stable in sloppy water and as mentioned before, turns with a vengeance. I enjoy driving both of them and am anxious to try the Daytona with eraser's new 505 ci injected motor. The Canyon handled an additional 350 hp without any changes. I think the circle boats may be a bit more sensitive to setup changes at different power levels.

Dragboats are for sissys!!
    Seriously, I think they are more comparable on a straight away than people think. They both require some tweaking to reach their potential and that is where the difference lies. The Kboat is more forgiving on the top end and that is probably the weight. Comparing the two would be like
    riding Anna Khournikova (circle boat) vs getting another blowjob from You Te (drag Boat)

dossangers
    I Concour Guru. Or As Billy Would Say Exactly!!!!

Carnivalride
    Thanks for the replies!
    I'm hoping to catch a ride and maybe drive one sometime this summer and see for myself. :idea: :idea: The wife is wan't a little smoother ride out at the lake but I can't bring myself to buy one of those family i/o boats. :redface: :redface: Besides I've just about got mine completed finally. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    Thanks again,
    Loren

BILLY.B
    Dragboats are for sissys!!
    Seriously, I think they are more comparable on a straight away than people think. They both require some tweaking to reach their potential and that is where the difference lies. The Kboat is more forgiving on the top end and that is probably the weight. Comparing the two would be like
    riding Anna Khournikova (circle boat) vs getting another blowjob from You Te (drag Boat) Wow Kato strong words. I wouldn't slam the drag guys that hard. Dragboats aren't that sloppy :jawdrop: .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast