Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Sell Boat Person to Person in AZ?

It's Only Money
    I have always traded-in my boats when selling them and now I am now selling my Arizona registered (CA trailer) boat to a private party in Arizona. He's an AZ resident so I know there's no sales tax issue involved. He's never purchased a boat private party either so the buyer isn't sure how to handle this. He thought he had heard that a notary public was needed to consumate the transaction. So, my questions to the group:
    1) Is a Notary needed?
    2) Can I write up a simple bill of sale and have him sign it and me sign it?
    3) I do not have the AZ Game and Fish registration with me but is there a place to sign on it like California provides for transfer to a new owner?
    4) Do I have to notify AZ G&F after the owner takes delivery?
    5) On the CA trailer do I have to notify the DMV of the transfer as well?
    6) Am I missing anything here.
    He is bringing a certified check so that issue is covered. It is an all cash (check) deal so there is no financing involved.
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Dana

Essex29
    I have always traded-in my boats when selling them and now I am now selling my Arizona registered (CA trailer) boat to a private party in Arizona. He's an AZ resident so I know there's no sales tax issue involved. He's never purchased a boat private party either so the buyer isn't sure how to handle this. He thought he had heard that a notary public was needed to consumate the transaction. So, my questions to the group:
    1) Is a Notary needed?
    2) Can I write up a simple bill of sale and have him sign it and me sign it?
    3) I do not have the AZ Game and Fish registration with me but is there a place to sign on it like California provides for transfer to a new owner?
    4) Do I have to notify AZ G&F after the owner takes delivery?
    5) On the CA trailer do I have to notify the DMV of the transfer as well?
    6) Am I missing anything here.
    He is bringing a certified check so that issue is covered. It is an all cash (check) deal so there is no financing involved.
    Thanks in advance for the info.
    Dana
    Do yourself a favor....meet the guy at the bank that the certified funds are drawn from...just to be safe.lot's of counterfeit shiat going around.
    I just sold a boat and it was really easy..
    1. YOU need to tell the dmv that it has been sold and to transfer liability
    2. On the back of the AZ registration there is a transfer of ownership.
    That is pretty much all you have to do...I'd keep the insurance going for a week, until the transfer information has gone through.
    No notary is needed.
    good luck...my buyer was excellent!

jdf
    well when i bought my flattie from ca and i live in tx there was just the seller sign the boat over to me and a i think a bill of sell

MagicMtnDan
    Unfortunately no one can afford to trust certified checks. Go to the bank with him and have the bank verify the check/funds. Better to be safe than sorry!

Essex502
    If the certified check is drawn on a bank why wouldn't it be good? I'm in the process of selling our boat as well and would like to know the safest way to handle this kind of transaction. Is a cashier's check different?

Outnumbered
    Do yourself a favor....meet the guy at the bank that the certified funds are drawn from...just to be safe.lot's of counterfeit shiat going around.
    I just sold a boat and it was really easy..
    1. YOU need to tell the dmv that it has been sold and to transfer liability
    2. On the back of the AZ registration there is a transfer of ownership.
    That is pretty much all you have to do...I'd keep the insurance going for a week, until the transfer information has gone through.
    No notary is needed.
    good luck...my buyer was excellent!
    DMV in AZ does not handle boats, only the trailer. Its Game and Fish that handles the boat. They have a website. Check it out.

Lake Ape
    DMV in AZ does not handle boats, only the trailer. Its Game and Fish that handles the boat. They have a website. Check it out.
    Yup, he's right. Just sign over the boat regristration on the back and the boat is taken care of. If you are buying a boat in AZ you should probably make sure the boat doesn't have lean against it. There are several ways to do this but in the past I have just gotten affidavits from the seller stating that the boat is free and clear, have it notorized when you do the trailer.
    For the trailer a notary is required. Make damn sure that if you have AZ perminant plates that the new owner changes them to thier name or you could be liable for some really nice parking tickets, photo radar tickets, etc. This happened to me.

Essex502
    I just called the Arizona Department of Game and Fish and they said that you just had to sign the back of their rgistration "card" and give it to the buyer. I think it's the same with the CA DMV for the trailer but I seem to recall - and agree with Essex29 - that you still have to notify the DMV as well.

ChumpChange
    If the certified check is drawn on a bank why wouldn't it be good? I'm in the process of selling our boat as well and would like to know the safest way to handle this kind of transaction. Is a cashier's check different?
    You're fine. As long as it's a bank you know and not some Nigerian bank.

Essex502
    You're fine. As long as it's a bank you know and not some Nigerian bank.
    Cool...I've already had the discussion with the buyer and told him it would have to be a certified check from a major Bank. I thought of calling the bank and verifying but I don't know if they track the check number.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast