Thread: What sould i do now??

AntRant
    I was putting my water neck back on to my Edelbrock torker Intake. Then it just stripped out http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/mad/mad71.gif , But it was odd, a little thing came out with the bolt(kinda like a spring). I think you use it to reduce the tread size. but the treads on the intake itself are stripped. I cant tap it bigger because then the bolts will be huge. I was thinking of filling with that JB Weld or something simular and just tapping that. What do you think???? AntRant
    [This message has been edited by AntRant (edited March 16, 2002).]

ratso
    Sounds like a Heli-Coil. Go to an auto parts store and get another, at least that is the route I would go.

Taylorman
    Try using a heilcoil thread repair. I tapped out mine on my offy ram. It had a 5/16 bolt and the threads stripped so I tapped it out to a 3/8.

That "spring-like" thing you saw was actually the threads that sheared off. Best advice is to take the manifold to a machine shop and have them install a thread repair. Basically, they drill and tap the hole to a larger size and then install a steel threaded insert into the new hole. Shouldn't be too expensive. While you have it there, have them check out the condition of the other t-stat bolt hole. If it is at all questionable, install an insert there as well. Always use care when tightening bolts in aluminum.
    [This message has been edited by OLDSQUIRT (edited March 16, 2002).]

DickDanger
    Oldsquirt got it right. You have to be very careful with aluminum, and overtightening. I always either grease all of the threads, or use anti-seize when reinstalling, and then tighten them to spec. Usually, just snugging them up, and not reefing on them is good enough. I would also definitely take it to a reputable machine shop, and not go the JB Weld route. Good luck!!! -DD out

Banshee
    If the spring like thing you saw is aluminum then Oldsquirt is correct it’s the threads sheering off. If the spring like thing that came out is steel or stainless steel it’s a Heli-Coil. Heli-Coil’s are a common way to repair damaged or stripped threads. Personally I don’t care for them. Go to a machine shop and have them put in a stainless steel thread repair insert as Oldsquirt suggest. You can buy the thread repair inserts from McMaster Carr and do it yourself if you have the means. The inserts require the hole to be drilled and tapped to the next standard thread size. Not special taps like the less strong Heil-Coil repair method uses. And ALWAYS use anti-seize when one of the parts involved is aluminum or stainless steel; better yet, always use it. Automotive grease will work as a sub if you don’t have anti-seize.

mister460
    They're called Time-serts. Heli-coils suck ass. Go to a machine shop and get it Time-serted. My excellent psychic powers are telling me it will cost you!
    About 6 bucks!

AntRant
    That piece that cam out was a Heli-Coil. I saw some time-serts lookin things buy they were not stainless. will thes be ok? Do you think i should take the intake off to do this???

mister460
    Time-serts have a black phosphate coating on them that resists corrosion. They'll work fine. It's not necessary to remove the manifold. Very simple procedure.