Thread: laying the floor

woskie70
    Ok So I Am Ready To Install My Floor In The Boat. What Should I Seal The Plywood With? Should I Use Something Like A Thompsons Water Seal Or Something Else?

Ken F
    Ok So I Am Ready To Install My Floor In The Boat. What Should I Seal The Plywood With? Should I Use Something Like A Thompsons Water Seal Or Something Else?
    Coat the bottom side of your floor with fiberglass resin and a weenie roller.
    2 coats would be advisable. Be double sure to get about 3 or 4 coats on all edges, as the edges will soak up a lot of resin.
    Ken F

Nucking futs
    I would also do the same with the top side.It seals everything and the top side sees more water then the under side. Also make sure when you glass the bulkhead you drill a hole to let the water drain out from under the floor.
    Tim

FHI-prez
    Actually I'll let you guys in on a little secret since you asked. Fiberglass resin is a good idea, so go ahead and do what the guys said above. BUT, before you do that, call your local pest control company. Tell them you need somone to come out with some Tim-bor. In a chemical solution it is used to pre-treat or post-treat wood for dry wood termites or wood destroying fungi. It will soak into the wood about 1" so for use on a 3/4" piece of plywood it has no problem soaking all the way through. It has an active life of 20 years give or take depending on application I suppose, and in that time the wood can NOT rot. It will not allow fungus to grow in the wood (the Boric ((sp?)) acid kills any wood destroying fungi) thus keeping the wood from rotting. It should be pretty damn cheap, as the chemical cost would be almost nill, you just gotta see if someone will stop by when they have a mixture of Tim-bor on the truck, which they often do. The stuff is incredible and you could never even come close to it will pressure treated lumber or any kind of do-it-yourself sealer. Encasing the wood in fiberglass resin with this crap treating the wood gives you a lifetime application for sure. Just my .02, just thought I'd share. Have fun,
    Nick

DEL51
    The final flow coat should be done with a clear gelcoat.They used to call it finishing resin.Someone on this board or Banderlog.com had mentioned a company called fiberglast.They had Tons of info.The last coat of "finishing" resin is harder and srcatch resistant. wont allow resin wax,part or resin, to turn white when it gets wet on the surface.I am telling you what I have read and not from first hand experience regarding this final coat.I did make a small balsa water barrier and glassed it in on the center recess of my floor,Tunnel, and it needs some top coat. it gets a little chalky from water. it does clean right up,however,I will add the shiny stuff soon.Good Luck, Chris

Jake W2
    Like Ken F said coat the bottom of your plywood (Not treated) with resin a few times.Then run a strip of wetted (resin) matt on the keel stringer if it has one then screw it on while still wet(to the keel stringer not the hull).All so where ever it hits the hull or stingers lay some wet matt under it there.Then glass it in to the hull or stringers and lay a sheet of matt over the whole pice asuming you are going to carpet it.
    Jake