Thread: parque floor question

anger management
    I had a bad spot in my parque flooring in my swtd.One of the fuel tank straps was a little loose allowing water to work its way under the laminant and rought the wood in approx a 1x1 square we cut the bad spot out.My question is can I get a peace off similar flooring for the repair and if so where.Thanks for any input

MikeF
    Todd...........Insert info here. :sleeping:

DEL51
    Yes, and parque or other kitchen floor references are not what it is referred to, except from manuals of oldriggers' daddys days.Now it is called what it is, by the type of material used.Determine if it was a hardwood veneer over laminate and resin or a true resin soaked balsa core finish.The balsa should have a minimum of 1/8 inch depth. Talk to some current boat manufactureres or restoration pro's regarding your project.Weigh your your inputs. The square or rectangular type wood can be replaced and may hard to match if you have a specific grain pattern and cut pattern you want to match. Let us Know what you decide and how it turns out.Thanks,DEL51

helter skelter
    Yes, and parque or other kitchen floor references are not what it is referred to, except from manuals of oldriggers' daddys days.Now it is called what it is, by the type of material used.Determine if it was a hardwood veneer over laminate and resin or a true resin soaked balsa core finish.The balsa should have a minimum of 1/8 inch depth. Talk to some current boat manufactureres or restoration pro's regarding your project.Weigh your your inputs. The square or rectangular type wood can be replaced and may hard to match if you have a specific grain pattern and cut pattern you want to match. Let us Know what you decide and how it turns out.Thanks,DEL51
    The major problem... well no so much major as more of a tedious task was trying to match a 25+year old existing floor. What we found to work is for the "aged look" was a combination of several gel pigments including; red, burnt yellow, and black. The results were anywhere from a butterscotch to clay colour and to use that first to "dye" the wood... and it seems to need to be much darker since as it soaks in... and as you add additional resin it tends to bleach out a bit... or a lot. A little cloth and some laminating resin... and you're good to go.
    Balsa is neat to work with and fairly cheap so "experimenting" with a few little chunks before going after it on your ride is worth while. Practice makes perfect.