Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polished lower????

pleasantcat
    ok i have a 25daytona with a shorty lower unit. it's got a few battle scars and i was concidering polishing it instead of repainting it. anybody know of pros/cons of this. do i give up mph or shall i even think of picking up a few im running around 114-118 depending on conditions and location. thanks guys

UnionJack
    I would get it polished

Craig
    Save the work, polished will be slower than primer or speedcoat, albeit you might not really see it. A little texture is better, same basis for the dimples on a golf ball. Polish your deck if you're bored :hammerhea :wink:

pleasantcat
    Polish your deck if you're bored :hammerhea :wink:
    i've got that under control remember.

UnionJack
    So it's like a golf balls

SummerObsession
    I polished the XR lowers on my Cigarette. Looked great until I put it in the water.
    My IMCO extremes have the "brushed" finish on them. I just use some fine sandpaper to smooth the lines, and some aluminum acid etching spray to turn them back to a bright finish. Easy.
    If I polished the lowers, I would either clear paint or clear powdercoat them.
    Unless you are running over 130 MPH, I doubt you would notice much speed difference between polished or not. I didn't on my 80 MPH Cig.

andy01
    I polished the XR lowers on my Cigarette. Looked great until I put it in the water.
    My IMCO extremes have the "brushed" finish on them. I just use some fine sandpaper to smooth the lines, and some aluminum acid etching spray to turn them back to a bright finish. Easy.
    If I polished the lowers, I would either clear paint or clear powdercoat them.
    Unless you are running over 130 MPH, I doubt you would notice much speed difference between polished or not. I didn't on my 80 MPH Cig.
    What "Acid etching spray" do you use?
    Andy

Charley
    ok i have a 25daytona with a shorty lower unit. it's got a few battle scars and i was concidering polishing it instead of repainting it. anybody know of pros/cons of this. do i give up mph or shall i even think of picking up a few im running around 114-118 depending on conditions and location. thanks guys
    dont you have a woman who can polish your lower unit for you? :wink:

SummerObsession
    What "Acid etching spray" do you use?
    Andy
    dude, I'm going to have to go look. :idea:
    It's just the "aluminum bright" light acid stuff you get at the truck stops to clean wheels and stuff. turns them a kind of white, or brushed looking color.
    I'll look for the brand, it works great, just spray evenly and watch how long you leave it on.

Havasu Hangin'
    I would get it polished
    I hear you tanning salon guys like polishing lower units?
    :supp:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast