Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Boat/Audio System Suggestions!

boxscore
    I'm building a new boat and need any input for the stereo build. My parameters are 2 12's, 4 pr mids/highs, amps (3?). I plan to power with 3 odyssies. My budget can be fairly high. Please help with equipment suggestions. I tend to not shy away from the best stuff, but I'm fairly naive and not up to date on the latest gear. Thanks!

mbrown2
    Depends on the boat, but I am assuming if it is a cat, the subs will be mounted underneatch the deck and the mid/highs in the side consoles low?
    If I had to do it over again and the boat would fit it, I would do the subs in the rear seat base (like Boatfloatings or Whipped565's)....much more bass too be heard. Also, I would mount the mid/highs as high as you can and not in the console...not sure if the boat allows.
    In Xfactor's F26 he opted for custom made consoles (wood w/vinly) instead of the fiberglass where built in speaker locations were set up higher and angled towards the backseat...much better sound positioning then in the console aimed across the boat low.
    If using quality componenets, I would say it more of your sound depends depends on speaker placement and less then components.
    I would definitely look at the MB Quart head unit, or the Alpine if you want native IPOD integration..For amps, PG(Xenon), JL(Slash), and Zapco (Reference)...are lines I would consider..
    For mids I would consider MB Quart, Focal, and Pierced....or another decent brand that makes something in a 7" or larger mid....For Sub's I really like the JLW6...just a great all around sub.
    Well, that's a start...Good luck on the build up...

Procraftkev
    I went with the zapco amps and and they make alot of power,also the three year waranty was a plus!

boxscore
    In Xfactor's F26 he opted for custom made consoles (wood w/vinly) instead of the fiberglass where built in speaker locations were set up higher and angled towards the backseat...much better sound positioning then in the console aimed across the boat low.
    That's what I dont like about the consoles. Any pics floating around here of his custom setup? I take it you'd definately opt for running those 4 pair of mids/highs with two amps instead of one. I think thats what you did in your boat... and then a mono amp as well. Does that make them sound substantially better or just allow the amps to run cooler...or both? I definately like the looks of the 7" Pierced. Thx Mike.

mbrown2
    That's what I dont like about the consoles. Any pics floating around here of his custom setup? I take it you'd definately opt for running those 4 pair of mids/highs with two amps instead of one. I think thats what you did in your boat... and then a mono amp as well. Does that make them sound substantially better or just allow the amps to run cooler...or both? I definately like the looks of the 7" Pierced. Thx Mike.
    I want the 800 watts and I don't want it to run hot....you might look at the 200x4 Phoenix Xenon Amp....I used this amp in the Malibu for mids....You could all 8 with just one and get true 800 watts without pushing it and it stays cool...its a big amp, but allows you run 1...then look at the 1200x1 to run the two JLW6's...
    Here is a pic of Glenn's setup....looks great and sounds great, but remember, you lose the option of bringing your graphics into the boat on the fiberglass consoles.....always trade offs..;-)
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...7XFactor-9.jpg

boxscore
    How bout this four the 4 channel...
    http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...r%20Amplifiers
    And for the mono amp...
    good amps? or would you still go with PG and others before RF?

essexjet
    How bout this four the 4 channel...
    And for the mono amp...
    good amps? or would you still go with PG and others before RF?
    I have all fosgate amps in my boat. I dont think that I would put them in again if I had to they're good amps just think that theres better out there. I would go with JL for sure and next I would look at Kicker. Just my $0.02

mbrown2
    I would not do Fosgate's again....I would do PG's first, JL's 2nd....PG's Xenon line has the perfect high power 4 channel...JL does not...both have pretty good sub amps...JL 1000x1, PG 1200x1...all specs are right in line with each other...
    Also, if DCB is doing the install, I would let them do it...they do some pretty sick work...and their box spec's and system designs are coming from Transonic so with their rigging and stereo skill combined with Transonic's knowledge you cannot go wrong..

boxscore
    Thx MB... Darren will definately be doing the install. PG's, W6's, Peirced. Sounds about right eh?

mbrown2
    Thx MB... Darren will definately be doing the install. PG's, W6's, Peirced. Sounds about right eh?
    Darin is the man....Chad and Paul are also pretty cool...just don't let Carlos touch anything
    Sounds exactly how I would do it....with the 200x4 amp you might also think about running speakers under the hatch...those can project very nicely towards the beach if you are looking for that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast